Rich, creamy Nutella gelato loaded with chunks of fudgy brownie bites and a hint of sea salt!
Everyone’s making all these fabulous strawberry recipes, eye-popping blueberry recipes, and beautiful fruity drinks… and then here I am, making a salted Nutella fudge brownie gelato.
The heart wants what the heart wants, you guys.
Truth be told, this recipe came about because I had a couple Vermont Brownie Company Walnut Chunk brownies in the pantry that I wanted to use in a recipe of some sort, instead of just inhaling them while sitting on the couch.
I just chopped ’em up and tossed them in at the end of the churning cycle to give this gelato more dimension and an extra chocolatey nutty bite. I just freaking love add ins.
.. and also some chopped chocolate.
I CAN’T DENY MY HEART WHAT IT WANTS. I’M SORRY.
The dog wanted to
eat it help, and didn’t really understand “No, chocolate’s bad for you”, “Don’t lick that bowl” or “Stop trying to eat the damn gelato”.
How this gelato differs from ice cream
Since this is gelato, it’s not as thick and fluffy as ice cream when you our it into your container. It’s about half the volume of a normal churned ice cream recipe, so just keep that in mind when you’re planning how many servings this might actually last you.
For me? Probably three. Maybe four.
But then again, “serving sizes” sort of mean nothing to me.
Soft right from the freezer
One of the nice things about this is that you don’t need to worry about needing to let it sit out for a bit so that it softens a bit before you dig in – it’s ready and rarin’ to go straight out of the freezer.
What kind of brownies should I use?
Use whatever you’d like! If you have pre-made brownies lying around, chop up one or two of them (depending on the size). If you’ve got a bakery style, gigantic monster of a brownie, one is probably all you’ll need.
You can also make a batch of homemade fugdy brownies and sacrifice a couple to the cause of this gelato.
Got Nutella fever now? Me, too.
Queue up these recipes next:
- Nutella Champagne Dip
- Baked Nutella S’mores by Taste and See
- Nutella Fruit Tart
- Nutella Fudge Brownies by Life Love and Sugar (make these and add them to this recipe because OMG)
- Paleo Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Pie Bars
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Salted Nutella Fudge Brownie Gelato
- 1 cup Nutella
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup brownies, chopped (whatever kind you want!)
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped
- Large pinch of sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine Nutella and light brown sugar, and use a hand mixer to beat on low speed until just combined.
- Add half and half, heavy cream, vanilla and salt, and beat on low speed until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour into prepared ice cream maker and let it stir on low speed for 20 minutes. Add chopped brownies and chocolate and let stir for another 2-5 minutes until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan (top with another sprinkling of salt, on top if desired) and freeze for at least four hours.