Cold, creamy and dairy free! Four ingredients and 10 minutes are all you need for this healthy, vegan smoothie that’s thick enough to support extra toppings and be eagerly eaten with a spoon.
Smoothies have always been one of those things that I really wish I could order from a juice bar, or make at home on the weekends. But yogurt has never been my thing, and neither have bananas – and that makes it pretty difficult for me to enjoy smoothies, where they typically include either yogurt or bananas. I caught wind of the smoothie bowl trend last year and my excitement over creating gorgeous, colorful bowls was quickly diminished when I remembered the whole yogurt and banana thing… womp womp.
And that is why I’m pretty proud of myself for concocting this Blueberry Smoothie Bowl. No yogurt. No bananas. Only four main ingredients that I love.
Let’s talk about the ingredients:
- Orange juice: Freshly squeezed, no additives. It’s totally worth the minute it takes to slice an orange in half and juice it.
- Blueberries: Frozen – and I actually don’t recommend using fresh. You want the consistency that it gives you when it’s frozen.
- Pineapple: Also frozen (see above) and because the flavor of pineapple is strong, it provides a great balance to the citrus of the orange and the sweetness and tartness of the blueberries.
- Chia seeds: You’ve heard me rave about them already, and they’ve proven themselves useful again as a thickening agent in the smoothie.
I topped mine with slices of orange, shreds of coconut and fresh pomegranate arils. No dairy, and no sugar needed. The coconut gave it a nice tropical vibe to make up for the wet, wintry weather outside. I closed my eyes and imagined I was on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean. Mind you, it didn’t work, but I tried!
I adore the color – it’s such a vibrant purple, and knowing that it’s all natural and all healthy ingredients makes it even prettier.
As for the toppings, you could do anything you wanted. Fresh pineapple slices, blueberries, granola… I could go on and on, but you don’t need me babbling at you that long.
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup frozen blueberries
- ¾ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Optional: Orange slices, shredded coconut, pomegranate seeds
- Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.1/2 cup orange juice3/4 cup frozen blueberries3/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Pour into a bowl and top with orange slices, shredded coconut, pomegranate seeds or any toppings your little heart desires. Serve immediately and enjoy!Optional: Orange slices
The provided nutrition information is generated by an automatic API and does not take variations across specific brands into account. This information is provided as a general guideline and should not be treated as official calculations. Learn more here.
Leave a Rating and a Comment