I’m going to let you in on a little secret – use frozen blueberries. I pick/buy fresh blueberries, and then throw them into a plastic bag in a single layer and freeze them for a day before I use them. It keeps them from shriveling up when they bake, and I find the flavor to be much better!
Big, fluffy muffins stuffed with juicy blueberries and topped with a little sugar for good measure.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray muffin tin (s) with non-stick spray. I don’t recommend the jumbo muffin liners in this instance – just leave ‘em naked.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar – don’t overmix! Whisk until just combined.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla and whisk until just combined.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture. You don’t want to overmix, but just stir long enough that all the flour has been incorporated.
- Fold in blueberries and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins and fill to the top. If you want, you can add a little sugar to the tops of each muffin (and of course I do, because sugar).
- Now here’s the real trick to getting these big and fluffy (and I wish I could remember who told me this so long ago): bake at 425° F for 8 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 375° F and continue to bake for 20 minutes. The tops of the muffins should be golden and should bounce back if pressed. Let them sit in the pan for a few minutes to cool and then enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast