These brussels sprouts are pan-fried with crumbled bacon and butter for a light and flavorful side dish! Try my Pan Fried Gnocchi and Brussels Sprouts next.
I feel like brussels sprouts are one of those foods that people either love or despise. Which side do you fall on?
I absolutely adore them, and like to prepare them a bunch of different ways. My personal favorite is pan-fried, combined with some crumbled bacon, and topped with parmesan cheese.
Yup… that’s the stuff.
But brussels sprouts look gross when cooked!
I’ve talked with non-brussels sprouts lovers and I’ve heard that they’re really turned off by the look of them once they’ve been cooked. I admit they’re not the prettiest girl in school – but they have a great personality!
I’ll take something that’s less than Pinterest-perfect that tastes amazing over something that looks flawless and tastes like garbage. Wouldn’t you?
Of course you would, because you’re a logical and wonderful human being <3
Boiled vs. pan-fried
I’ll admit that brussels sprouts are not particularly amazing when they’re been boiled. That’s just not my wheelhouse. The smell, the texture, the flavor… I’m just not on board with it.
But pan-fried? Yes. Oh, yes. It only takes a single pan and 15 minutes, which makes it the perfect side dish to pair with your weeknight entree.
Bacon and cheese? This isn’t vegan!
If you got here because you clicked on the “Vegan” menu option and you’re thinking to yourself, “OHMYGOD THIS HAS BACON AND CHEESE THIS IS TOTALLY NOT VEGAN”, calm down!
Don’t like bacon or cheese? Don’t include it. Want an extra zing of flavor? Add some lemon juice. Feeling adventurous? Drizzle real maple syrup over them while they cook (just trust me on this one).
What to serve with pan-friend brussels sprouts
These will go well with any main course! Chicken, pork, steak and even pasta. It also makes for a delicious side dish on the table for Thanksgiving – just make sure you have enough for everyone!
After you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment below with a rating – and if you came from Pinterest, add a photo to the Pin of what you make to the pin to share your experience!Print
Pan-Fried Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
These brussels sprouts are pan-fried with crumbled bacon and butter for a light and flavorful side dish!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2–4 servings (side dish) 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled (omit if vegan)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (substitute for vegan butter or olive oil if vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 12 ounces fresh brussels sprouts, rinsed and halved lengthwise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional garnish)
- Cook bacon, let cool and crumble. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil and butter.
- Once butter is melted, add minced garlic and stir constantly for a minute until fragrant.
- Add brussels sprouts, cut side down, in a single layer. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Add crumbled bacon, stir lightly, and cover to cook another 5 minutes (without stirring) or until brussels sprouts are fork tender.
- Add salt and/or pepper to taste and serve topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Vegan: This dish is easily made vegan by omitting cheese and bacon, and using a butter substitute.
Keywords: pan-friend brussels sprouts, brussels sprouts, brussels sprouts and bacon