Dunkaroo dip is a homemade version of the classic childhood treat you’d stick in your lunchbox. Easy, 3-ingredient funfetti flavored dip that’s perfect for animal cracker dunking, and loaded with sprinkles!
Years ago, I made a Dunkaroo Pie and my coworkers at a previous job went NUTS for it. They raved about how good the animal cracker crust was, but several people commented that they’d rather just dunk animal crackers into it like a dip.
So why not just make them to be like good ol’ childhood favorite Dunkaroos?
… and then I promptly forgot about it until a week ago.
Why this is great as a dip
- It’s a heck of a lot easier to throw together than also having to bake the crust for a pie (as delicious as it may be)
- It’s also a heck of a lot easier to serve at a party! People go nuts for this stuff
- There are no crazy ingredients and it’s quick to make
Since my present-day coworkers had never experienced this sprinkle-filled, cake batter flavored 90s nostalgia, I decided one day to whip some up in the office.
You may have seen my post on Instagram about how my coworker went on an Amazon Prime Now spending spree and I further indulged his new addiction and asked him to add the ingredients for this dip.
Side note: Our order was a really, really weird assortment of stuff. A computer monitor cable, ice cream, Cool Whip, funfetti cake mix, yogurt, pudding, a fan… there may have even been a rom-com and a little of puppies in there, I don’t remember.
But I’m fairly sure that the guy delivering our order assumed it was for a female computer technician who was PMSing, having hot flashes and going through a breakup.
Alright, back to this Dunkaroo Dip – which is ALSO amazing. My desk neighbor dunked a cracker in it and tasted it, grabbed another cracker and tasted it again, and then frantically searched for his own bowl to pile dip and crackers into while muttering, “You are a WIZARD”.
I don’t use Snapchat, but evidently he also snapped a picture of it all with a caption to that effect as well.
Another coworker just kept repeating, “How does this taste like cake batter? I mean, I know what’s in it, but… HOW? HOW IS THIS SO GOOD?!” every time he took a bite.
Others gave me some serious high fives, fist bumps, and a lot of almost NSFW moaning and groaning. When it was almost gone, I dared my office manager to lick the bowl.
While I didn’t actually see her do it, that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen…
So… yeah. I’d say this is a winner winner,
chicken cake batter dinner dessert.
I tweaked it a little from my original pie-form recipe to account for the lack of buttery crust that accompanied it. I also wanted to make the quantities easier: a whole box of funfetti cake mix, a whole container of Cool Whip.
When I made this in the office, all I had was one of those little 6 ounce single serving yogurts and it worked out just fine – so if you don’t have a full cup of yogurt, I promise everything will be okay.
Go make a batch of this DunkarooDip and just watch a mass of people come flocking toward you. These are your new best friends – treat them well, and make sure you have a plentiful supply of animal crackers!
I’m serious, order them in bulk (affiliate link). You’ll thank me later.
After you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment below with a rating – and if you came from Pinterest, add a photo to the Pin of what you make to the pin to share your experience!Print
Dunkaroo dip is a homemade version of the classic childhood treat you’d stick in your lunchbox. Easy, 3-ingredient funfetti flavored dip that’s perfect for animal cracker dunking, and loaded with sprinkles! And if this isn’t enough funfetti fun for you, try my chewy funfetti granola bars, funfetti rice krispy treats, funfetti whipped cream, and funfetti popcorn.
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix (18.9 oz – or at least 16 oz homemade funfetti mix)
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (taken from the fridge, not freezer)
- Rainbow sprinkles, optional for topping
- Animal crackers, for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine Funfetti mix, yogurt and Cool Whip and stir until well combined.
- Place in fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Top with extra sprinkles, serve with animal crackers for dipping and enjoy!
- If you’re concerned about the potential for bacteria in raw flour, you can quickly heat treat it by spreading it out onto a baking sheet and toasting it at 350°F for 5 minutes. Let it cool, then follow the instructions above. Just note that the sprinkles in the funfetti cake mix may discolor or become a bit melty and spread.
- Make sure your Cool Whip is thawed before you start, otherwise you are going to have a heck of time getting it to combine well.
- You can use a hand mixer or just a spoon to stir – it’s up to your personal preference.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dunkaroo dip, dunkaroos dip, funfetti dip, cake batter dip