This DIY Dunkaroo dip is a homemade version of the classic childhood treat you’d stick in your lunchbox. Easy, 3-ingredient funfetti cake mix dessert dip that’s perfect for animal cracker dunking, and loaded with sprinkles!
And if this isn’t enough funfetti fun for you, try my chewy funfetti granola bars, funfetti rice krispy treats, funfetti whipped cream, and funfetti popcorn.
When I was a kid, having Dunkaroos in your lunchbox at school was like hitting the jackpot. Why not hit the jackpot any time you want at home while you enjoy that nostalgic snack and feel like a kid again? This homemade Dunkaroo dip only needs 3 key ingredients and will make a ton so you can share (or not – I don’t judge)
Dunkaroos are back in stores – but this dip is still better
I was absolutely giddy when I heard that one of my favorite nostalgic snacks of my childhood had returned to stores in the US in 2020. You better believe I immediately went in search of them, and once I got a box of them I felt like I’d hit that elementary school lottery all over again.
I opened the little container of adorable cookies with the little pod of sprinkled cake batter dip and prepared myself for awesomeness. And you know what? I was disappointed.
Tastebuds change as you get older, and I know memories can get distorted, but they just weren’t… the same. The cookies were fine, but the Dunkaroos frosting had an artificial taste, and my middle-aged stomach wanted a larger serving than a couple of bites.
So given the choice between the rereleased Betty Crocker Dunkaroos snack and my Homemade Dunkaroo Dip? I’m going to pick my recipe every time.
Why funfetti dip is going to be your new favorite thing
- It’s so easy to make. I mean seriously, so easy. Add three ingredients in a bowl and stir. The end.
- People go nuts for this! Kids, adults, everyone. It will disappear so quickly at parties, so make sure you get your share first ;) Dessert dips are almost always all the rage at a party.
- There are no crazy ingredients, and it’s easily customizable.
Key Ingredients for funfetti dip
- Funfetti cake mix: The key ingredient to the whole shebang! Either an 18.9 oz or 15.25-ounce box of cake mix will work.
- Vanilla yogurt: You can use non-vanilla flavored yogurt too, but I enjoy the flavor it adds
- Cool Whip: You want this thawed in the fridge, and not from the freezer as it will be difficult to mix.
- Rainbow sprinkles: Optional, but encouraged. Because why wouldn’t you want more sprinkles in a sprinkle dip?!
- Animal crackers: Also optional, but used for dipping into said dip :) You can also use graham crackers, Teddy Grahams, or really whatever makes you happy.
6 tips for making Dunkaroo Dip
- Use a large mixing bowl – larger than you think you’ll need! This will help you mix everything together thoroughly without having to be super cautious not to spill cake mix everywhere.
- Use a sturdy wooden spoon and spatula to mix everything together. You can even use a large whisk if you’d like, you’ll just need to scrape the mix out from the middle. Wooden spoons or large, sturdy spatulas are your best bet.
- We’re making homemade Dunkaroos with yogurt, and I recommend using vanilla-flavored. Use a kind you know you like the flavor of!
- You’ll notice that after you’ve combined everything, there’s probably not a whole lot of “funfetti” happening. It’s going to smell like it, but not look like it – the colors of the sprinkles won’t stick out much when they’ve been combined with the yogurt and Cool Whip. This is when we add extra sprinkles, because why not?
- Transfer to a clean, smaller bowl for serving. Make sure it’s a good size for people to dip into, and a bowl that’s safe to go in the fridge (since that’s where it will need to be stored).
- And at the risk of being a broken record… add more sprinkles :)
Heat treating the flour in the cake mix
If you’re concerned about the potential for bacteria in raw flour, you can quickly heat treat it by spreading it out onto a baking sheet and toasting it at 350°F for 5 minutes. Let it cool, then follow the instructions above.
Just note that the sprinkles in the funfetti cake mix may discolor or become a bit melty and spread. But don’t despair – that’s just more reason to add even more sprinkles :)
You don’t need exact quantities for delicious results
I wanted to make the quantities easy: a whole box of funfetti cake mix, a whole container of yogurt, a whole container of Cool Whip.
That means your Dunkaroo Dip can still work if you don’t have exactly those amounts, so don’t fret! The only difference you’ll see might be in the texture.
- If you’re low on the yogurt, the dip will be a little more dense.
- If you’re low on the dry cake mix, it might be a little fluffier. But no matter what, it will be delicious.
- I’ve made this plenty of times with a 6-ounce single serving yogurt and it worked out just fine – so if you don’t have a full 8 ounces of yogurt, I promise everything will be okay.
- I’ve also made this with different amounts of dry cake mix, and it’s been fine! Some boxes of cake mix come in 18.9-ounce boxes, some come with 15.25 ounces.
Prepare to be the most popular person you know
Go make a batch of this funfetti dip and just watch a mass of people come flocking toward you. These are your new best friends – treat them well, and make sure you have a plentiful supply of animal crackers! (I’m serious, order them in bulk (aff link) – you’ll thank me later.)
Or graham crackers. Or Teddy Grahams. Or pretzels. Or a ladel. I mean, really, whatever works.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix, 18.9 oz or 15.25 oz box*
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, taken from the fridge, not freezer
- Rainbow sprinkles, optional for adding more color (I usually add about 1/4 cup)
- Animal crackers, for dipping
- In a large bowl, use a large wooden spoon or spatula to combine Funfetti mix*, yogurt and Cool Whip and stir until well combined.1 box Funfetti cake mix1 cup vanilla yogurt8 ounces Cool WhipRainbow sprinkles
- Cover and place in fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Top with extra sprinkles, serve with animal crackers for dipping and enjoy!Animal crackers
- *Note about dry cake mix: If you’re concerned about the potential for bacteria in raw flour, you can quickly heat treat it by spreading it out onto a baking sheet and toasting it at 350°F for 5 minutes. Let it cool, then follow the instructions above. Just note that the sprinkles in the funfetti cake mix may discolor or become a bit melty and spread.
- Make sure your Cool Whip is thawed before you start, otherwise you are going to have a heck of time getting it to combine well.
- You can use a hand mixer or just a spoon to stir – it’s up to your personal preference.
The provided nutrition information is generated by an automatic API and does not take variations across specific brands into account. This information is provided as a general guideline and should not be treated as official calculations. Learn more here.
Leave a Rating and a Comment