Peanut butter and bacon are combined into one treat and beloved by dogs – and for good reason!
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup skim or nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped or crumbled
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- Assorted cookie cutters
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line two (maybe even more!) baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mats and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, mix peanut butter, milk, and applesauce. You want the mixture to be smooth at this point, so make sure to break up any lumps.
- Slowly add flour and baking powder, mixing as you go since the mixture is going to get very thick. If needed, place dough on a prepared surface to full incorporate the flour and baking powder with your hands. Add in the oats and bacon (again, using your hands as needed).
- Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to be 1/4″-/1/8″ thick. Using cookie cutter(s), cut out dough and place on prepared baking sheets. They really won’t spread, but they will puff up. Just keep in mind – the thicker the cutouts are, the “puffier” the treats will end up being in the end.
- Bake for 16 minutes and then flip and bake for another 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool completely and let your pup enjoy!
I recommend storing these at room temperature for up to a couple weeks. You can also throw them in the freezer for longer!
- Category: Dog Treat
- Method: Bake