Peanut butter and bacon are combined into one treat and beloved by dogs – and for good reason!
I love bacon. You love bacon. We alllllll love bacon. Okay… not all of us. But most of us, anyway. And since I love bacon, why wouldn’t my dog love bacon?
We’ve all seen the Beggin’ Strips commercial, and <sarcasm>they can’t lie on TV so obviously it’s true.</sarcasm>
I probably should have given Penny a little piece of bacon to try it out. But I didn’t. Just went straight for the whole treat to give her a sample and for the first time, there was no long, drawn out process of determining whether she liked it or not. She just gulped it down and then proceeded to smile.
I’m not messing around or exaggerating here. She SMILED. I managed to grab this picture of her when it happened:
And you know how I know it’s because of these treats? Because it kept happening.
While I was trying to take some pictures in the teeny, tiny corner under a window that has natural light (my “studio” is super ghetto), I got this shot as well:
LOOK AT THE SHEER JOY ON HER FACE. I can’t even handle it. Luckily for her, I let her sample a few more – you know, just in case. Quality assurance is everything, people!
As you can tell in the picture below, she took it upon herself to taste test.
So go make these and try to get pictures of your pooch smiling and send them over. Because seriously… my heart hurts it’s so cute when it happens.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treats
- ✓ Read the recipe from beginning to end
- 1 cup peanut butter, make sure it doesn't contain xylitol
- ¾ cup skim or nonfat milk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ tablespoon baking powder
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped or crumbled
- ¼ cup quick oats
- Assorted cookie cutters
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line two (maybe even more!) baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mats and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, mix peanut butter, milk, and applesauce. You want the mixture to be smooth at this point, so make sure to break up any lumps.1 cup peanut butter | ¾ cup skim or nonfat milk | ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Slowly add flour and baking powder, mixing as you go since the mixture is going to get very thick. If needed, place dough on a prepared surface to full incorporate the flour and baking powder with your hands. Add in the oats and bacon (again, using your hands as needed).2 cups whole wheat flour | ¾ tablespoon baking powder | ¼ cup quick oats | 3 strips thick-cut bacon
- Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to be ¼"-/1/8" thick. Using cookie cutter(s), cut out dough and place on prepared baking sheets. They really won't spread, but they will puff up. Just keep in mind - the thicker the cutouts are, the "puffier" the treats will end up being in the end.Assorted cookie cutters
- Bake for 16 minutes and then flip and bake for another 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool completely and let your pup enjoy!
- ✓ Check oven calibration
- ✓ Check expiration dates
- ✓ Properly measure ingredients
- ✓ Check butter temperature