Honey + Vanilla Cupcakes
[Makes 24 mini cupcakes]
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon vanilla
Sprinkles (optional, for garnish)
24 pieces of Honeycomb cereal (optional, for garnish)
1) Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a mini muffin pan with liners, or spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, honey and vanilla. Set aside.
4) In a separate medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
5) Add eggs to large bowl with butter mixture and beat well.
6) Add half of the dry ingredient mixture and mix well, then add half of the wet mixture and mix well. Repeat for the remaining mixtures.
7) Fill each cup of prepared pan 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of one of the mini cupcakes should come out clean.
While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting!
*Should you need to make your own buttermilk, just fill a measuring cup with 1/2 cup of regular milk and add a teaspoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit out for about 10-15 minutes and you’ll notice it start to curdle. Stir it a couple times, and then add it in when needed. I never, ever buy buttermilk because I don’t use it often enough to justify the purchase, so I do this all the time.