Light vanilla cupcakes topped with vanilla honey buttercream frosting, both with just the right amount of honey flavor without being too sweet.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (optional, for garnish)
- 24 pieces of Honeycomb cereal (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a mini muffin pan with liners, or spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, honey and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Add eggs to large bowl with butter mixture and beat well.
- Add half of the dry ingredient mixture and mix well, then add half of the wet mixture and mix well. Repeat for the remaining mixtures.
- Fill each cup of prepared pan 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of one of the mini cupcakes should come out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then move to cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese until well combined. It’s easiest to slice the butter and cream cheese into small cubes to make this process go more quickly and smoothly.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well in between each addition.
- Add honey and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Frost cupcakes as desired (I used a piping bag with a decorative tip for mine), add sprinkles and top with a piece of Honeycomb cereal. Enjoy!
Homemade buttermilk: Should you need to make your own buttermilk, just fill a measuring cup with 1/2 cup of regular milk and add a teaspoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit out for about 10-15 minutes and you’ll notice it start to curdle. Stir it a couple times, and then add it in when needed.
Keywords: honey vanilla cupcakes