A fall side dish that will brighten any meal! Roasted delicata squash and brussels sprouts are topped with pomegranate arils for gorgeous pops of color.
I would like to submit this delicata squash recipe as a last minute addition to your Thanksgiving dinner tablescape. This dish is a combination of my favorite winter vegetables and fruit, which makes it perfect for any meal during the cold weather months.
But I love everything about this so much that I couldn’t wait until after Thanksgiving to share it. I had to get it out there as soon as humanly possible.
Fun fact: The first time I wrote the sentence above, it came out “I had to get it out there as soon as humanely possible”, which brought to mind visions of someone with a cattle prod that would poke me if I weren’t typing quickly enough.
On the topic, this would be perfect for your Meatless Mondays. No meat, no dairy – just delicious veggies that will help you feel all warm and cozy.
Oh, by the way, my train of thought up there: Cattle prod –> cattle –> meat –> no meat to be seen.
The pomegranate arils aren’t just there to give things a pop of color – they give the dish a welcome sweetness and crunch. If you want a little more crunch, you can add some pecans or walnuts, or both if you’re feeling like getting a little wild and crazy.
Vegetarian dish, but hearty
Despite being a veggie dish, it’s pretty hearty. So if you’re serving this as a side on Thanksgiving, just be aware that you’d have a hard time scarfing down seconds of turkey, potatoes, stuffing, AND this.
I know some of are thinking to yourselves, “Challenge accepted”. I can’t stop you. I can only advise you via the internet. With that said, everyone knows that everything you read on the internet is true, sooooo.
If you haven’t already, be sure to check out my post about hosting a stress-free Thanksgiving – there’s sure to be at least a few tips or recommendations in there that will help you keep your sanity this holiday.
Pair these roasted veggies with…
- Cranberry Mimosa
- Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup
- No-Baste Cheesecloth Turkey by Hunger Thirst Play
- Cornbread and Bacon Stuffing
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Roasted Delicata Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Checklist For Success
- 1 delicata squash, washed and dried
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- Olive oil
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice off the ends of the delicata squash, then cut in half lengthwise. Spoon out the seeds, then cut into half rounds, about ½″ thick.1 delicata squash
- In a large bowl, combine squash and brussels sprouts with a large drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine, then arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.1 pound brussels sprouts | Olive oil | Salt | Pepper
- Roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through. The squash should be softened and lightly browned, and the brussels sprouts should be browned and crisp on the outside.
- Place in a serving dish and top with pomegranate arils and chopped nuts. Serve immediately and enjoy!½ cup pomegranate arils | ¼ cup walnuts or pecans