A favorite campfire treat turned cupcake! Moist chocolate cake is topped with marshmallow frosting and graham cracker crumbs. Get crazy and add some mini marshmallows, chocolate chips and syrup!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup avocados (around 2 medium), mashed
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Crushed graham cracker (garnish, optional)
- Chocolate sauce (garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, espresso powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash avocado to make it as smooth as possible. You can toss it in a food processor to get it really smooth if you’re low on time (or energy).
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Now add sugar, water and vanilla, stir to combine until smooth.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, pour batter into cupcake liners until almost full. Bake for 17-20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean, and the tops should be cracked a bit and spring back when touched. Set on wire rack to cool completely.
- Place egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a double broiler over a simmering pot of water.
- Whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is foamy.
- Pour egg white mixture into a large mixing bowl and whip on high speed with a whisk attachment until it forms stiff peaks.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with crushed graham cracker and chocolate sauce. Enjoy!
Don’t want to use avocado? Just substitute 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature.
Keywords: s’mores cupcakes, s’mores, chocolate cupcakes, marshmallow frosting