Eat s’mores by the spoonful! The classic campfire treat is turned into a trifle for an easy and quick dessert any night of the week – ready in 10 minutes!
You know what’s awesome? S’mores. I have a bit of a thing for s’mores – they’re sort of my food crush. A s’more is the perfect combination of crunchy, melty and chocolately. I can’t think of a single person who would disagree with me, so it’s the perfect treat to bring a group of friends together for a summer party.
You know what’s not awesome? Rainy days. How are you supposed to gather your friends around a campfire and reminisce about your great day at the beach when it’s pouring outside? It’s just mean, Mother Nature. Mean. We’ve had nothing but rain recently and it’s been impossible to have fun outdoors! Well, unless you enjoy constantly wearing rain boots and taking up a second residence under your umbrella.
Despite the weather, I was determined to bring my favorite summertime treat indoors to share with my friends. S’mores don’t require a campfire, you know! I headed over to Walmart to pick up some supplies and you wouldn’t believe how easy that was. From the time I parked my car to the time I got back in it to leave, it was less than five minutes! One of the first displays when I walked through the door had everything I needed: Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bars, Honey Maid Graham Cracker Squares and Kraft’s Jet Puffed Marshmallows.
The Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bars are in the same classic packaging you know and love, with 6 bars in each package. However, the other two have changed things up to make it easier than ever to make s’mores! The Honey Maid Graham Cracker Squares and Kraft’s Jet Puffed Marshmallows are both square shaped – now everything lines up perfectly! The symmetry of all three together makes my heart sing. It reminded me of the scene in Father of the Bride where he goes to the grocery store and starts taking hot dog buns out of the packages because he wants eight hot dogs, and eight hot dog buns. It’s so true! Why DON’T more companies team up to make products that go well together? Let’s give a round of applause to Hershey’s, Honey Maid and Kraft for this genius coordination.
[insert applause here]
I was hopeful that by the time I got home the skies would have cleared and a little outdoor soiree would suddenly become possible. And guess what? That didn’t happen even a little bit. In fact, I’m pretty sure it started raining even harder, with a little thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure. I realized I needed to come up with a way to make my s’mores indoors (hey, that rhymed!).
I looked around the house to find inspiration. I opened the fridge and stared at the shelf of salads, layered in mason jars. I saw the flowers on my kitchen table where I’d been using a large mason jar as the vase. And then I noticed my shelf of empty mason jars – they were just sitting there on the shelf, looking for a purpose. And what kind of person would I be if I didn’t get them a purpose? The answer was so obvious – S’mores Trifle! It was the perfect way to create handheld desserts for my guests indoors that wouldn’t result in messy hands and melted marshmallows all over my house.
Here’s what you’ll need for each S’mores Trifle
- 1-12 ounce mason jar (feel free to use an 8 ounce jar instead – that will fill it up to the top, whereas the 12 ounce jar has room in it)
- 2-1.55 oz Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars
- 4 Honey Maid Graham Cracker Squares (3, if you leave them whole)
- 4 Kraft’s Jet Puffed S’moreMallows
You’re going to break up all of your ingredients. Chop the chocolate, crush the graham crackers in a plastic baggie, and cut the marshmallows into fourths. You could also just break the chocolate apart with your hands and leave the marshmallows whole – it’s going to taste just as delicious either way! But you’ll only need three marshmallows if you leave them whole. Four won’t fit in the jar!
You’ll pop the marshmallows in the oven just long enough to toast the tops and then layer all your ingredients in the jar and hand it over to your guests with a spoon. That’s it!
It takes less than 10 minutes, and you could even decorate each person’s jar so they feel extra special.
It’s like a hug in a jar… but, you know, with s’mores.
If you want to make it even more ooey gooey, just stick the finished jar in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to melt the chocolate and marshmallows a little more.
But keep an eye on it! The marshamallow will bubble up, so make sure it doesn’t overflow on you.
Just look at it. If your guests aren’t already your best friends, they will be after you serve them this.
Okay, let’s just look at it one more time:
This is my new favorite way to make s’mores any night of the week. Tell me about yours in the comments!
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
10-Minute S'mores Trifle
- 2-1.55 oz Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars, broken
- 4 Honey Maid Graham Cracker Squares, crushed
- 4 Kraft's Jet Puffed S'moreMallow, quartered (3, if left whole)
- 1-12 oz mason jar
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Break each Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar apart and chop each pip in half. If you don't want to use a knife, just snap them in half with your fingers!
- Place Honey Maid Graham Cracker Squares in a small plastic bag and crush them into small chunks.
- For the marshmallows, you have two options: You can leave them whole, or cut each Kraft's Jet Puffed S'moreMallow into four pieces. Or a mix of both for kicks! Place marshmallows on prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- Place ½ of your crushed graham crackers in the mason jar. Set aside.
- Set oven to broil and place sheet of marshmallows in the oven long enough to toast the marshmallows on top to a light golden color. It won't take very long, so keep an eye on it!
- Carefully scoop (or place) ½ your marshmallows on top of the graham cracker layer in the jar.
- Add ½ of your chopped chocolate on top of marshmallow layer, and repeat the sequence again (all but a pinch of the remaining graham crackers, marshmallow, and then chocolate).
- Sprinkle the remaining graham crackers on top and serve immediately. Enjoy!Tip: Want it to be extra ooey-gooey? Pop the assembled jar into the microwave for 10-15 seconds before serving.