A bite-sized peanut butter cup with the added bonus of hidden fruit inside! It only takes 3-4 ingredients and can be ready in 1 hour.
All the conference rooms in my office have a jar of candy on each table, and I happen to sit right next to one. Do you know how bad that is for my diet? It’s bad. Very, very bad.
Don’t get me wrong – I love candy. I also like peanut butter. And chocolate. And apples. So it’s really no surprise that I made my peanut butter and chocolate apple “nachos”.
But here’s the thing – sometimes I just don’t have time to slice an apple, melt chocolate and peanut butter, and assemble it all together. And then sometimes I get the craving when I’m sitting at my desk at work, and I don’t have any of those ingredients on hand.
That’s when the poor decision to run into the conference room and steal candy happens, and I hate myself for the rest of the day. I keep granola bars in my desk, but sometimes that just doesn’t cut it.
Sometimes I just need apples + peanut butter + chocolate.
I was determined to come up with a portable version of the apple nachos that wouldn’t go bad after one day. What I finally came up with is heaven-sent.
Okay, it’s actually just me-sent, but still. All you need is chocolate, peanut butter, an apple, and some mini muffin baking cups.
They’re simple to make with only four ingredients, bite-sized, easy to grab and go, and the perfect little snack to quell a craving for sweets!
I may or may not have eaten six in one sitting, but that’s neither here nor there.
They kinda look like little squished marshmallows inside, don’t they? Fear not – it’s actually a small serving of fruit and not a sugar bomb.
I recommend adding more peanut butter on top of the apple slice before you cover it with more chocolate – I didn’t do it here because I was scraping the bottom of my jar and didn’t have enough. Do as I say, not as I do.
And just for giggles, here’s a gif I made that it currently making me very hungry. BRB, gotta grab a handful of peanut butter apple cups.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Peanut Butter Cups Stuffed with Apples
- 16 ounces dark chocolate
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, optional
- 1 apple, cored and cut into ¾" circles
- Place chocolate into a medium-sized microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Coat the bottom and sides of 12 mini muffin baking cups with about ¾ of the melted chocolate. Place cups in freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- In a small bowl, mix peanut butter and powdered sugar until well combined (powdered sugar can also be omitted altogether). Set aside.
- Slice an apple and use a cookie cutter, shot glass or similarly-sized circular item to cut out ¾" pieces. Set aside.
- Remove chocolate cups from freezer and add about ½ tablespoon of peanut butter mixture in the middle. Place one apple slice into center, cover with another ½ tablespoon of peanut butter. Cover top completely with remaining melted chocolate.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes to set, then peel off the wrappers and enjoy!