Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
Chocolate cupcakes are filled with a fudgy chocolate ganache, topped with my favorite mascarpone whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry – like a hot fudge sundae!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (around 2 avocados), mashed
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts (optional, for garnish)
- 12 maraschino cherries (for garnish)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, mash avocado to make it as smooth as possible. You can toss it in a food processor to get it really smooth if you’re low on time (or energy).
- Add sugar, vanilla and water, stir to combine until smooth with wooden spoon.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, pour batter into cupcake liners until almost full. Bake for 17-20 minutes (I only needed 17). A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean, and the tops should be cracked a bit and spring back when touched.
- Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips and let sit for a minute.
- Stir with whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, sugar and vanilla on a high speed until completely combined.
- Add heavy cream and mix on a low setting until it is mostly combined. Now increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form – it may take a little while, so be patient! Set aside.
- Now cut out the center of each of your cupcakes with a knife or a cupcake corer (I love mine!) and eat discard all but the very top of each core – you’re going to plop that back on top once the cupcakes are filled.
- Pipe chocolate ganache into the center of each cupcake until almost filled to the top, and then place the cut-out top back in its place.
- Pipe frosting onto the top of each cupcake and garnish with chopped nuts and a cherry. Serve and enjoy!
|Of course you don’t need an ice cream scoop for these, but it’s still a pretty adorable accessory for a photo shoot.|