Chocolate cupcakes are filled with a fudgy chocolate ganache, topped with my favorite mascarpone whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry – like a hot fudge sundae!
Sometimes in the middle of the night I’ll wake up from a dream with what I think is a genius idea for a new recipe.
About 50% of the time, when I finally get back to it I discover that someone else on the interwebs already had the same idea and I feel less genius.
So true to form, I woke up in the middle of the night and thought to myself, “I should make cupcakes that taste like a hot fudge sundae.” I jotted it down, and when I woke up the next morning I was dead-set on doing it.
I tried a few different things that didn’t go so well: ice cream in the middle, “ice cream” frosting… mostly things involving ice cream. So I gave up on that front and decided to go a little more simple.
And sometimes, simple is good. Like, really good. The chocolate cupcakes are rich, but since they have avocado instead of eggs, butter or oil you feel better about them. Then there’s the chocolate ganache in the middle – rich, smooth, and reminiscent of the hot fudge drizzled on top of a creamy scoop of ice cream.
And with a healthy piping of whipped cream frosting, chopped nuts and a cherry on top you have yourself a delicious, filling, adorable handheld sundae (with no melting!).
Of course, you could always drizzle a little more chocolate syrup on top, or add some sprinkles. Or maybe some mini M&Ms. Or crushed Oreos. Or a whole Oreo.
SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.
Just look at the filling on these. This was shortly after the cupcake construction was completed, so it was still warm and gooey. Over time, it gets more solid, but never hard. It’s almost like biting into a Ferrero Rocher where it just melts in your mouth. Mmmm.
I suggest you go ahead and make these, and thank the heavens that you don’t have to worry about it melting in the heat – so you can take your time and enjoy it!
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
- Cupcakes2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 teaspoons dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup around 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 cup hot water
- Frosting4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts, optional, for garnish
- 12 maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Chocolate Ganache3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, mash avocado to make it as smooth as possible. You can toss it in a food processor to get it really smooth if you're low on time (or energy).
- Add sugar, vanilla and water, stir to combine until smooth with wooden spoon.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, pour batter into cupcake liners until almost full. Bake for 17-20 minutes (I only needed 17). A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean, and the tops should be cracked a bit and spring back when touched.
- Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips and let sit for a minute.
- Stir with whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, sugar and vanilla on a high speed until completely combined.
- Add heavy cream and mix on a low setting until it is mostly combined. Now increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form - it may take a little while, so be patient! Set aside.
- Now cut out the center of each of your cupcakes with a knife or a cupcake corer (I love mine!) and eat discard all but the very top of each core - you're going to plop that back on top once the cupcakes are filled.
- Pipe chocolate ganache into the center of each cupcake until almost filled to the top, and then place the cut-out top back in its place.
- Pipe frosting onto the top of each cupcake and garnish with chopped nuts and a cherry. Serve and enjoy!