This isn’t the kind of banana bread you’re going to serve at breakfast – save this bad boy for dessert! This decadent triple chocolate banana bread is super chocolatey without being overly sweet, and topped with a thick layer of chocolate ganache. If you like bananas and you like chocolate, you’re going to LOVE this! Try my fan favorite perfect banana bread next.
Sorry that it’s been a while since my last new post (which I’m loving that YOU’RE loving) – something happened pretty suddenly last weekend, and I unplugged to thoroughly enjoy it and let it sink in… I got engaged!
It’s funny the kinds of questions that come out of people’s mouths when you tell them you’re engaged, like what the date is even though it only happened an hour ago.
Or what the color scheme is going to be, even though I can’t even figure out what color shoes match my shirt.
Or what kind of cake I’m going to make.
I will not, I repeat, will NOT be making my wedding cake. There is no world where I trust myself to make and transport my own cake while I’m trying to deal with everything else that happens on a bride’s wedding day. I’m going to leave those shenanigans to the pastry chefs that make the big bucks. I’m not sure what flavor we want to go with though… this might actually be the hardest decision I have to make about the wedding.
What if we do chocolate or red velvet, and it ends up on my dress? High probability that Bill or I will be wearing some portion of our food by the end of the night, btw. There’s a reason I carry a Tide pen everywhere I go.
Or ice cream cake (because HELLO ice cream cake) and it all melts?
Or what if I pick vanilla and it’s just… boring? I don’t wanna be boring. Minimalist, sure – but not boring.
Maybe we could do a cake that’s part ice cream cake, topped with a smaller cake that has layers of chocolate and vanilla, topped with an even smaller red velvet cake! Oh… that’s just a three-tiered cake? (a weird one, but still) I’m new to the wedding plan game, you guys.
Here’s another idea: maybe we just serve this decadent triple chocolate banana bread instead, with its thick, smooth chocolate ganche-y perfection.
No? Yeah, that might be a little too far on the “creative” side of things.
So maybe you should just make this for yourself, no special occasion required. This isn’t your typical banana bread that you’d make for a Saturday morning, although if you did you’d probably be the “cool mom”.
No no, this shiz is dessert-worthy. You saw the name of it, right? Triple. Chocolate. Banana Bread.
I asked Bill to describe it for me, and he said “It’s like a chocolate fondue in your mouth.” So… there you have it.
You can feel free out the chocolate chips in the batter, or to leave off the ganache glaze.
You know, if you hate happiness.
More chocolate + bananas, please:
- Fudgy Chocolate Banana Brownies
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins by Baker by Nature
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Babka by Occasionally Eggs
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Galette by Half Baked Harvest
After you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment below with a rating – and if you came from Pinterest, add a photo to the Pin of what you make to the pin to share your experience!Print
This isn’t the kind of banana bread you’re going to serve at breakfast – save this bad boy for dessert! This decadent triple chocolate banana bread is super chocolatey without being overly sweet, and topped with a thick layer of chocolate ganache. If you like bananas and you like chocolate, you’re going to LOVE this!
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (approx. 2 large or 3 medium bananas)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (melted and slightly cooled), or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder or Special Dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with nonstick spray or grease and flour the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, egg, oil, sugar and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to completely combine. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan in an even layer. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. You want to be sure you don’t overbake!
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes, then turn it out directly onto the wire rack to cool completely.
- Pour chocolate chips In a heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to a simmer and then pour over the chocolate chips in the bowl. Let stand for a few minutes, then stir to combine until completely smooth.
- Once the loaf is completely cooled, pour the ganache over the top and let it drizzle down the sides. Let the glaze set before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate, banana bread, dessert, triple chocolate, banana dessert, dessert loaf, chocolate loaf