This is my FAVORITE, easy chocolate mug cake. It’s moist, contains no eggs, is simple to make, and ready to eat in 5 minutes! Next time you want a full layer cake, give this recipe a try.
This recipe is proof that if you reach out to me with a specific recipe request, there’s a good chance I can deliver. Looking at you, Matt.
These are crazy times we’re living in, and the last thing you need is a craving for a food you are physically unable to procure. It’s one thing to have a craving and feel too lazy to run to the store, but it’s quite another to know you can’t venture out to get it for one reason or another.
One of the things I crave pretty frequently is chocolate cake. But the idea of baking an entire chocolate cake for a brief moment of omg I need chocolate right now feels pretty silly and unnecessary.
However, if you decide that needing to make a chocolate layer cake is not silly and unnecessary, here’s my favorite chocolate cake recipe for future reference.
So then sometimes that leads you to just run to the store and buy a small pre-made chocolate cake to get it out of your system (or I guess, into your system). But what about when you can’t for… reasons?
Is not being able to go buy a cake the end of the world? No, of course not. But it’s just one more thing added to the list of things that could be stressing you out, and you don’t need or deserve that.
If you’re unable to go to the store, don’t have time, or don’t have all the supplies you need to kick your chocolate craving… this moist, easy chocolate mug cake is here for you.
So… what is a mug cake?
This is the easiest question I’ll answer all week: It’s a cake made in a mug. No mixer, no oven, and no frosting.
And in this case, also no eggs!
Can you make mug cake in an oven?
Short answer: Nope.
Longer answer: This recipe is specifically designed to be made in a mug, in the microwave, without eggs. Eggs are traditionally used in cakes to act as a binding agent, but in the case of a mug cake you don’t need to worry about it producing a certain shape and keeping it. You zap it in the microwave and then just dig in! It won’t last long enough for the shape or appearance to matter.
So, chocolate mug cake, no egg = no oven.
Do I need a special mug?
Yes and no. You do want a mug that’s big enough to hold the cake once it’s cooked, so you want at least a 14 ounce mug.
Also, try not to use one that’s tall and skinny because you might end up with an unevenly cooked finished product.
Fillings and toppings for your chocolate mug cake
- I find that a tablespoon of Nutella, peanut butter, or other creamy filling dropped into the center of the mug just before microwaving gives this cake a super moist, irresistible flavor. It’s necessary for the moisture you’re looking for.
- Also, I’m a big fan of adding mini chocolate chips because… chocolate. I really like chocolate. That’s really the only reason, and I think it’s a solid one.
- It doesn’t need toppings, but why not add some anyway? Top your freshly cooked mug cake with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry. Because you deserve it.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
The Best Chocolate Mug Cake
- ¼ cup milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 tablespoon oil, I prefer coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, optional, but encouraged
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Nutella or peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips, optional, but encouraged
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine milk, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and whisk again to combine until batter is mostly smooth and no dry lumps remain.
- Transfer batter to a large microwave safe mug*, and drop a tablespoon of Nutella or peanut butter into the middle of the batter – no need to stir. Top with chocolate chips.
- Place mug cake in the microwave and heat for about 70 seconds.**
- Carefully remove from the microwave and serve immediately. Top with whipped cream or a small scoop of ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!