Funfetti popcorn is full of sprinkles, addictive, salty and sweet – four ingredients and 30 minutes are all you need for the perfect shareable snack! Next time try my funfetti granola bars.
Funfetti popcorn is the perfect colorful treat to satisfy a sweet and salty craving! I usually end up making popcorn and shoving handfuls in my mouth along with a handful of chocolate chips.
I knew there had to be a more elegant way to be a complete couch potato, and I found it. Melt the sweet and pour it on the salty. Duh, Leslie.
This easy to make, only needs four ingredients, can be ready in 30 minutes, and is easy to share. Well, logistically it’s easy – willpower wise… not so much.
I sort of turn into a dog who is protective of their favorite bone, growling at anyone that tries to put their hand near the bowl. It’s addictive, so don’t say I didn’t warn you.
How to make homemade popcorn
You can use lightly salted packaged microwave popcorn if you want (just make sure it’s not the kind loaded with theater butter flavor or whatever it’s called), but I prefer homemade. Here are a few different methods to go about making your own popcorn:
Make popcorn on the stove top
Heat a large heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium-high heat for a couple minutes. Add a few drops of water and if they sizzle, lower the heat to low.
Add popcorn kernels and immediately cover the pot with a lid. Shake the pot every few seconds – the kernels will start popping within a couple minutes.
Continue gently shaking the pot every few seconds until there are 2 seconds in between pops. Remove from heat and pour popcorn into large bowl.
Make popcorn in an air popper
If you own a hot air popper, then it’s even easier! Just follow the instructions on your particular model.
Make popcorn in a Whirley-Pop
I feel like people who own Whirley-Pops are hardcore about their love for it, and rightfully so. Plus, they’re adorably retro-looking.
Make popcorn in the microwave
I’m going to out myself here – I’ve been making popcorn in a plain, unlined paper bag for as long as I can remember, and I only recently found out that’s apparently very much frowned upon and dangerous.
For what it’s worth, I’ve never once had an issue with it and it’s so quick and easy… but I don’t want to encourage you to do a thing that is considered potentially dangerous.
How to melt white chocolate
You have a couple options for properly melting white chocolate, but no matter which method you use it’s important that you’re careful not to overheat it or add additional moisture. Both of these cause white chocolate to seize, and there’s no going back if that happens!
- Double boiler method: Break or chop chocolate into small pieces and place in the top pan of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water. Allow the chocolate to melt, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Microwave method: Break or chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl. Heat at 50% power for 1 minute, then stir. Continue to heat in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
Tips for making funfetti popcorn
White chocolate melts work better than white chocolate bars. It’s rare that I’d recommend you use candy melts over chocolate bars, but since you want the chocolate to set it’s better to use melting wafers because it will harden.
With that said, white chocolate bars will work – it just might not fully set and be as “crunchy” in the end. But don’t worry – it’s still freaking delicious.
You can use funfetti cake mix or white cake mix. Funfetti cake mix already has sprinkles in it, but I want you to add more sprinkles anyway – so either way, you’ll be good.
Add half the cake mix to the melted white chocolate, and half later. This gives you a more even coating on the popcorn, and isn’t as thick a mixture as it would be if you added all the cake mix to the melted white chocolate, which can lead to lots of clumping.
Add more sprinkles as your last step. Because who couldn’t use more colorful sprinkles in their life?
After you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment below with a rating – and if you came from Pinterest, add a photo to the Pin of what you make to the pin to share your experience!Print
This popcorn is full of sprinkles, addictive, salty and sweet – four ingredients and 20 minutes are all you need for the perfect shareable snack!
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels (or 6 cups popped popcorn)
- 10 ounces white chocolate melts (or chopped white chocolate bars)
- 3/4 cup funfetti or white cake mix, divided
- 1/2 cup sprinkles (not nonpareil, as their colors bleed), plus some for topping
- Place wax paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Pop popcorn in your preferred method and salt to taste. Pour into large bowl and set aside.
- Melt white chocolate in your preferred method, stirring frequently until smooth and being careful not to overheat.
- Add half of the cake mix to the white chocolate and stir to combine.
- Immediately pour white chocolate mixture over the popcorn and use a spatula to combine. Add the rest of the cake mix and sprinkles and stir or toss again to combine until thoroughly coated.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheet in a single layer and top with some extra sprinkles (just because). Let set for at least 15 minutes or until set and then break apart into small clusters. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: funfetti popcorn, popcorn with sprinkles, white chocolate popcorn, cake batter popcorn