So, as you may have read in my previous post, Apple and I are not friends at the moment. Therefore, I lost all the in-process photos from this recipe. The only picture I have is the “after” because I had emailed it to myself to test my wifi. Sigh.
Anyway – I love broccoli. My father hates it, so I’m sure I grew up to love it just to spite his distaste for it in adulthood. I look for pretty much any opportunity to add it to a dish, or use it as a side. I add it to boxed mac ‘n cheese, but I got sick of the boxed stuff and have been experimenting with my own. Here’s what I came up with.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni or rotini
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (or 4 tablespoons minced onion)
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs*
- *If using unseasoned bread crumbs, add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic), and 1/4 dried parsley
- Preheat over to 350. Place uncooked pasta and broccoli in medium pot of water. Cook according to package directions (around 10 minutes). Drain, set aside.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add onion (and garlic powder and parsley if you’re using unseasoned bread crumbs) and stir frequently for a couple minutes. Add flour and stir frequently until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add chicken broth and milk, stirring frequently. The mixture will come to a boil, continue stirring for a couple more minutes after it’s reached a boil. Add salt and pepper, stir, and remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese and stir until well-combined.
- Add the broccoli and pasta to the saucepan, stirring until all the ingredients are mixed well. Pour the mixture into your baking dish and top first with the parmesan, then with the breadcrumbs, distributing them evenly across the top.
- *To brown the breadcrumbs, spray with a little butter if you have it handy.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 571
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 981
- Fat: 30
- Saturated Fat: 19
- Unsaturated Fat: 10
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Protein: 29
- Cholesterol: 91