Whether you call it Halloween puppy chow, Halloween muddy buddies or Monster Munch, the addition of Halloween candy and autumn colors turn this into the perfect festive party snack! Add this to your party table with a bowl of Halloween candy bark and some cinnamon buttered rum popcorn balls (for the adults, of course).
You know what Halloween is?
It’s the American holiday where we tell kids to walk around and be cute or scary so that people will give them boatloads of candy and then they get all wired on sugar and act like tiny crazy people until they crash on the living room floor dressed up like Batman in a puddle of sugary drool.
And that’s why I figured I might as well dive straight into the sugary deep end with this Halloween Chex mix muddy buddies situation.
Here’s what Halloween puppy chow entails:
- Chocolate, peanut butter and devil’s food cake mix-covered Chex
- White chocolate, powdered sugar and sprinkle-covered Chex
- Candy corn and mellowcreme pumpkins
- Reese’s Pieces
- Reese’s white chocolate mini cups
- Mini marshmallows
- Gummy worms
- Candy eyeballs
There is nothing refined gluten-free, sugar-free or dairy-free about this. No, wait! I used gluten-free Chex cereal! Buuuuut I guess when you pile on everything else, that sort of loses its relevancy. Womp womp.
Oh, well. Can’t say I didn’t try.
Adding candy to make it Halloween-themed
I just had to add something weird to this. It wouldn’t be a very good Halloween treat if it didn’t have something spooky or gross, right? I opted for gummy worms and candy that looks like eyeballs. Subtle, but effective.
Obviously, you can use whatever you want in this! Go nuts and swap out the M&Ms for caramels, or the marshmallows for cinnamon sugar coated roasted chickpeas (it’s a thing).
You could also swap the chocolate in the coating for Nutella, or the white chocolate for a different kind of chocolate melts. Trade the devil’s food cake mix for red velvet.
Frankly, this could be a Thanksgiving recipe if you took out the gummy worms, eyeballs and other Halloween candy.
The puppy chow variations are are endless, my friends.
Embrace your inner sugar-fueled Batman.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Halloween Puppy Chow (Halloween Muddy Buddies)
- 9 cups Chex, Corn, Rice, or both, divided
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup devil’s food cake mix
- 6 ounces white candy melts
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Halloween sprinkles
- 11 ounce bag Brach’s Assorted Halloween Mellowcreme Candy
- 1 cup Fall Harvest M&Ms
- 1 cup Reese’s Pieces
- 8 ounces Reese's White Mini Cups
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 6 ounces gummy worms
- Divide Chex evenly between two large mixing bowls, and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter and vanilla and heat over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth and combined.
- Pour over the Chex in one bowl and carefully stir to combine and thoroughly coat. Add devil’s food cake mix and stir/toss to combine and coat.
- Pour onto one of the prepared baking sheets and let set for at least 15 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
- Pour white chocolate over the other bowl of Chex and carefully stir to combine. Add powdered sugar and stir/toss to combine and coat. Add sprinkles and toss to combine.
- Pour onto the other prepared baking sheet and let set for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine both prepared Chex mixes along with all other ingredients and stir/toss to combine. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Enjoy!
This post was originally published in October 2017 and has been revised and republished for clarity.