It doesn’t matter if you call it puppy chow or muddy buddies, this is a quick and easy to make 4-ingredient snack! This is a small batch puppy chow recipe that’s perfect for college students in a dorm who might rely on their microwave. Try my Halloween or Cranberry Bliss Puppy Chow next time.
Did you grow up calling it puppy chow or muddy buddies? For me, it was always puppy chow. But quite honestly, neither name is particularly appetizing! Good thing that the delicious, nostalgic flavor makes up for the poor choices of names.
This is a small batch puppy chow recipe
I purposely made this as a small batch recipe, and with as few ingredients as possible. The traditional recipe has six ingredients, but I cut it down to four. I fully admit that this one does not taste exactly the same as the traditional recipe, but I don’t even miss the butter and vanilla!
Perfect for college students
My goal in developing this version was to make it easy for college students to make in their dorm rooms, where chances are that all they have is a microwave to heat their food and they don’t have a fridge full of baking ingredients. No stove top required!
As long as you can get your hands on the following, you’ll good to go:
- measuring cups (½ cup and 1 cup, specifically)
- a large microwave safe mug or microwave safe cereal bowl
- a spoon
What kind of Chex should I use?
I like to use Corn Chex because it adds a little extra sweetness and I don’t feel the need to use as much powdered sugar, but you can also use Rice Chex.
If you’re able to find Chocolate Chex, that’s delicious, too, for double the chocolate fun!
Melting chocolate and peanut butter the right way
In a microwave safe bowl or mug, you’re going to combine your chocolate chips and peanut butter and heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each until melted and combined.
Don’t just set the timer for 2 minutes on High and think everything is going to be okay – spoiler alert, it won’t be! You’re going to end up with a scorched and/or splattered mess. Heating in 30 second increments and stirring after each isn’t that much extra effort, I promise.
Two ways to mix it all together
- If you have a mug and a bowl at your disposal, you can add your Chex cereal to the bowl and pour the melted peanut butter chocolate mixture over the top, then stir to combine and coat.
- If you only have a bowl that you’ve melted the peanut butter and chocolate together in, you can just pour the Chex mix in and stir to combine and coat.
Four different ways to coat in powdered sugar
- You can add the powered sugar to your bowl a little at a time, carefully stirring to combine and coat.
- If you have a plate or lid for that bowl, you can hold that over the top and shake to combine!
- If you have a resealable plastic or reusable storage bag, add it all to the bag, seal it shut, grab one end with each hand and get to shakin’.
- But if you have a tupperware container, adding it all to the container and then shaking the beejezus out of it is easier – and frankly, more satisfying!
How long can I store puppy chow?
Puppy chow can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week. But I very seriously doubt it will last that long ;)
Fun fact: This quantity fits perfectly in 3 cup food storage container!
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
4-Ingredient Puppy Chow (Small Batch Muddy Buddies)
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups Chex cereal, Rice or Corn
- ½ cup powdered sugar, up to ¾ cup
- In a microwave safe bowl or mug, combine chocolate chips and peanut butter and heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each until melted and combined.
- In a medium bowl, add your Chex cereal. Pour the melted peanut butter chocolate mixture over the top of the cereal, and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour powdered sugar on top, then either use one of the following methods to coat and combine:– Cover bowl with lid (if it has one) and shake– Cover bowl with a similarly sized plate, hold tightly and shake– Transfer to a large resealable bag and shake– Use a spoon to stir to combine
- Transfer to clean bowl or mug, and snack away – enjoy!
- Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Fits perfectly in 3 cup food storage container!