Puff pastry pizza is a super easy way to satisfy a pizza craving when you’re low on time or dough. Puff pastry steps in as the crust, and the rest is totally up to you! A great recipe to make with the kids.
I feel like I don’t have to do a lot of convincing on the topic of eating pizza, but I probably have to do quite a bit on the topic of making pizza.
I know that making your own crust can be time-consuming, finicky, and frustrating, so I’m taking this opportunity to encourage you to cheat. I’m not going to scold you for it.
Why puff pastry pizza is awesome
Using pre-made frozen puff pastry is going to make your pizza-making experience much easier, much faster, and much less frustrating.
Even better about this recipe is that it’s 100% customizable. I love mushrooms and olives on mine, but you could do whatever you want!
How to make puff pastry pizza
- Make sure to thaw the puff pastry before rolling it out. If it’s still frozen, it will crack and then you’ll be sad. If that does happen for some reason, you can wait for it to come to room temperature and then use a rolling pin to gently press it back together – but it’s obviously better to avoid that step if at all possible.
- Slice the puff pastry sheet in half. It’s enough to make two pizzas – trying to make one big one can end up a little too wet in the middle. Having it split into two pizzas makes the distribution for cooking more even.
Puff pastry pizza toppings
- Use little to no sauce. As easy and customizable as this recipe is, I will warn you – a heavy sauce may cause the pastry to get a bit soggy. So, I recommend no sauce or keeping it light. I promise you won’t even miss it.
- Don’t be afraid to pile on your veggies and cheese – the more the merrier! My personal favorites are baby bella mushrooms, black olives, banana peppers, and/or mini pepperonis with a sprinkle of chili flakes. Crumbled Italian sausage and bell peppers are also freaking delicious.
Just follow the recipe and swap my ingredients for your own. You’ll be eating pizza in 20 minutes and it’ll be awesome.
That’s right, I said 20 minutes.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Easy Puff Pastry Pizza
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces mushrooms, or whatever veggies you want, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine, can substitute chicken broth or water
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- ½ tablespoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Roll out thawed pastry onto prepared baking sheet and slice in half (width-wise).
- Brush 1 tablespoon of olive oil across each pastry sheet, making sure to cover it all the way to the edges. Add more oil if you need it.
- In a large pan, combine butter, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat. Sauté for a couple minutes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine (or broth/water) and stir frequently until the liquid has mostly cooked off. Turn off the heat.
- On each prepared pastry sheet, cover the center with the cheese, leaving a small border all the way around.
- Add the sautéed vegetables, and then top with olives, basil, parsley and red pepper. Add more cheese if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the pastry is golden brown.
- Let the pizza set for a couple minutes before slicing into four or six pieces each, and then serve immediately and enjoy!