Three ingredient banana dog treats that your furry friend will love – ready in less than 30 minutes! For more dog treat ideas, try Peanut Butter Cookie Dog Treats, Carrot + Squash Dog Treats, or Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treats.
While we were doing a round of training with Penny, I realized her treat stash was getting low. I had a banana sitting around, and figured I would make her some new treats with it.
I had to do a little research just to make sure I wasn’t going to be giving her anything bad, and discovered that coconut oil seemed to be a good option to help the dough stick together. I was going to use applesauce, but it might have been a little too… mushy.
That face? This is the face she gives me when she knows I’m about to work in the kitchen.
It’s a mix of, “You really think you’re leaving this room?” and “I’m suspicious of what you’re about to do. But no matter what, I will dart after you at full speed like I’m being chased by Satan.”
Thankfully, she benefited from allowing me a snuggle-reprieve.
Banana Dog Treats
[Made 20 medium sized and 24 bite-sized treats]
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a medium bowl, blend all ingredients together with electric mixer until a dough is formed.
- Roll out dough and cut with cookie cutters into desired sizes.
- Or, for bite-sized treats, roll small amounts of dough into balls and then flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Use your forefinger to press a circular indentation into the bottom half, and then cut a toothpick so that you have a flat end (or use the flat end of a skewer) and press four dots into the top – it will look like a paw print!
- Just keep in mind that while these treats won’t spread when they bake, any imprints on the treats will lose their shape a little bit. So a good rule of thumb is to exaggerate your decorations a little bit knowing they’ll “melt” a little.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, or until they start turning golden brown around the edges.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!