Super fudgy chocolate banana brownies that you could easily eat for breakfast! This dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan treat will satisfy any chocolate craving without destroying your diet. If you like the idea of dessert for breakfast, try my paleo banana berry breakfast cookies, too.
Let’s talk brownies. Specifically, these Fudgy Chocolate Banana Brownies. I know, I know – two banana recipes in one week. Clearly I’ve living on the wild side.
They’re brownies, sure – but you know what they’re not? Unhealthy. They’re, dare I say, healthy. Good for you. Brownies that are suitable as breakfast.
Making fudgy chocolate banana brownies
- Let’s take a look at the ingredients:
- Banana – source of vitamin C and potassium
- Applesauce – source of fiber, makes the brownies moist as a substitute for eggs
- Cocoa powder – also a source of fiber and antioxidants
- Maple syrup or honey – source of antioxidants, adds sweetness
- Almond milk – free of cholesterol and saturated fat
- Espresso powder – enhances the chocolate flavor
- Dairy-free chocolate chips – perfect for the allergy-prone because they’re gluten, dairy, nut, egg and sulfite free
- You could swap ingredients to your liking and I’ve noted those in the recipe below. This doesn’t HAVE to be dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan – but why not let it be? Keep in mind: If you swap all of the things, you may not end up with the same result, and I unfortunately can’t predict that outcome for you.
- Also, make sure you let them set, because when they come out of the oven they’re not yet going to be completely set. This step is critical to your success.
- These have strong banana and chocolate flavors, so if you don’t like bananas or chocolate – this probably isn’t the recipe for you. If that’s the case, maybe you should try my Paleo Double Chocolate Brownies or No-Bake Date Brownies!
I mean, c’mon. How could you say no to these things? I’ll tell you right now that people in my office were to the point of harassing me for this recipe they loved them so much. And then my coworker’s spouses were harassing me.
And I’m fairly confident that a random crow flew by while I was on a walk and asked me about it.
These are so moist that they almost fall apart a little… but in a good way. So keep some napkins and a glass of milk (non-dairy or otherwise) nearby!
After you’ve made this recipe, please leave a comment below with a rating – and if you came from Pinterest, add a photo of what you make to the pin to share your experience!Print
Super fudgy chocolate brownies that you could easily eat for breakfast! This dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan treat will satisfy any chocolate craving without destroying your diet.
- 2 bananas
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (can substitute 1 egg)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (can substitute honey)
- 2 tablespoons coconut or almond milk (can substitute dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks (can substitute regular chocolate chips)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8 pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend bananas for 5-10 seconds until mostly smooth.
- Add applesauce, cocoa powder, maple syrup, milk, vanilla and espresso powder and blend until smooth.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and chocolate chips and pulse for a couple seconds to blend.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is no longer shiny and slightly cracked. The inside should be slightly under-baked – it will set as it cools, and will be the perfect fudgy consistency!
- Very important: Let sit at least a couple hours to cool before cutting and serving (they’ll be even more firm if you can leave them overnight). Store in fridge in an airtight container. Enjoy!
- You could swap ingredients to your liking and I’ve noted those in the recipe above – but keep in mind if you swap all of the things, you may not end up with the same result, and I unfortunately can’t predict that outcome for you.
- These are very fudgy and moist, and don’t hold together the way a more cake-like brownie would. Embrace it! Top it with some fruit or ice cream and eat it with a spoon 🙂
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana brownies, chocolate banana, brownies, dessert, healthy dessert
Want more banana recipes, or maybe just more chocolate?
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- The Perfect Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Salted Chocolate Chips by Hunger Thirst Play
- Paleo Banana Berry Breakfast Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Minute Muffins by Mighty Mrs.
- Paleo Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Banana Blondies by Cookies and Cups
- Chocolate Beet Cake