Have a craving for Rice Krispie Treats, but don’t want to make a whole pan of them? This Rice Krispie Treat in a mug is single serving and needs only 3 ingredients, 2 minutes and a microwave! Try my chocolate mug cake next.
I talked a little in my last post about how weird it feels to get the urge to make something and know you probably can’t just run out and get it these days.
Last week (but really, what even is time?) I discovered that I didn’t have any dark chocolate and with the way I reacted to it, you would have thought someone told me a dinosaur had eaten my car.
I welled up with tears and got unreasonably upset and just sat on the floor of our pantry for a good 10 minutes.
That said… I’ve decided there’s nothing wrong with feeling a little trapped by inconvenience. Even the smallest things might feel like a big deal right now, and that’s okay.
I’m not going to beat a dead horse, so I’m just going to say that I hope you are comfortable, safe, healthy, and have all the essentials that you need to get through this weird and crazy time.
One of the things I’ve been doing is trying to keep a routine for some sense of normalcy, but also finding ways to mix things up so I don’t feel so trapped and isolated.
My solution this week? A single serving Rice Krispie treat in a mug.
This recipe is great for people who:
- Live alone and can’t justify making an entire pan of Rice Krispie treats right now
- Just want a single serving Rice Krispie treat to satisfy a craving in the moment
- Don’t feel like putting the effort in for a full pan recipe
- Need something sweet. Like, right now.
- Need a reprieve from that box of stale Girl Scout cookies in that flavor it turns out you don’t love (no that hasn’t happened to me).
Tips for making Rice Krispie Treat in a mug
This recipe is very simple, and would even be good to make with kids because you don’t need to use an oven or mess with any complicated steps.
- Melt ½ tablespoon butter in a mug first, swirl it around, then add marshmallows and heat again. This way the butter kind of acts as a non-stick spray and makes it easier to stir the ingredients together.
- Only add ½ cup of Rice Krispies cereal at first, then add more if you want it to be thicker. I prefer my ratio of cereal to marshmallow to be more marshmallow-heavy, but to each their own. This ratio is also easier to eat with a spoon.
- Also, make sure to use a large enough mug that the marshmallows don’t overflow. The smallest mug I use is an 8 ounce capacity, and you still see the marshmallows expand up over the top for a couple seconds, but they come right back down into the mug once it stops heating.
Want a single serving Rice Krispie Treat square?
Easy. If you want to straight up make it a single serving Rice Krispie treat bar, make it the same way and then just press it into a square shape on a plate and let it set for a few.
Boom! Single serving handheld Rice Krispie treat.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
2-Minute Rice Krispie Treat in a Mug
- ½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 large marshmallows, or ¾ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup to ¾ cup Rice Krispies cereal, dry
- In a mug, add butter and microwave for 15-20 seconds or until just melted. Tip the mug slightly to the side and roll the melted butter around to coat the edges a bit.
- Add marshmallows and microwave again for 30 seconds. Carefully remove from microwave and stir to combine. Immediately add Rice Krispies cereal and stir to combine. Start with ½ cup, then add up to another ¼ cup more if you'd like it thicker.
- Serve and enjoy!