Super soft, chewy banana cookies filled with dried berries – a perfect grab and go breakfast cookie! Gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats, pulsed in food processor to half their size
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup banana, mashed (about 1 medium banana)
- 1/4 cup almond milk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with a nonstick silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, chia seeds, salt and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash banana. Add almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup or honey, and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add dry mixture to bowl of wet mixture and use a spatula to combine. Fold in dried blueberries and cranberries (and orange zest, if using).
- If the dough feels too sticky to manage, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to chill.
- Using a large cookie scoop (the large scoops I use is 3 tablespoons) drop cookies on prepared baking sheet and use your spatula to flatten them to your desired size (they won’t spread while baking). Press additional blueberries/cranberries into the tops of the cookies – it’s just prettier this way! If you don’t have enough room for all your cookies on one sheet, divide them between two baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on the pan for 10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store, loosely covered, at room temperature for up to three days – enjoy!
They don’t spread at all, so you have to make sure you flatten them to the size and shape that you want before baking.
You don’t want to roll them in your hands because they end up being kinda tough and frankly, look unappealing.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana cookies, breakfast cookies