Super easy ice cream sandwiches made with just 2 ingredients: a doctored box cake mix and vanilla ice cream!
Awesome Thing #1: They’re delicious, but not heavy.
Awesome Thing #2: They’re easy to make.
Awesome Thing #3: You’ll never want to eat store-bought boxes of ice cream sandwiches again.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Chocolate Cake Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 box Devils Food cake mix, plus ingredients according to the box - see note below
- Oil or other nonstick spray
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat your waffle iron and spray nonstick spray.
- Make cake mix according to the box directions, substituting plain yogurt for the oil and skim milk for the water. It's healthier, and frankly tastier!
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop a "rounded" 1/2 cup of mix into your waffle maker.
- Depending on how your waffle maker works, cook the waffle until it's cake-like. You don't want them to be crispy, but a cake-consistency. You'll be surprised how easily they pop out when they're done, and how well they stay together.
- Lay each cooked waffle on a baking rack to cool, and then transfer them over to a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Keep adding a sheet of wax paper in between each layer until you've made them all.
- Stick those bad boys in the freezer for a few hours.
- When you take them out of the freezer a few hours later they'll still be soft, but they'll be firm enough to hold the ice cream. Now pile on as much ice cream as you want, and INHALE THEM. I dare you not to.
- I highly recommend substituting yogurt for oil, and skim milk for water.
- Regarding serving sizes:
12 servings = If you break each waffle into four pieces each.
6 servings = If you break each waffle into half.
3 servings = If you're like me, and you just plop whole waffles on top of each other.