Testing the viral TikTok breakfast pasta recipe that I’ve seen all over the internet! According to the TikTok community, this 4 ingredient pasta dish is quick to whip up in a small pot and has a silky smooth sauce, topped with crunchy “everything bagel” seasoning. Read the post to find out how it turned out for me and if I think it lives up to the hype!
I’d been seeing this easy breakfast pasta recipe all over my TikTok For You page and in Instagram Reels, so I eventually caved to peer pressure (you know, social media peer pressure) and decided to try it myself.
It wasn’t as impressive looking (or as involved) as Stanley Tucci’s breakfast pasta, but with only four ingredients I figured it couldn’t hurt to try.
The pasta is boiled per usual, and then the “sauce” is made right there with the pasta in the pot. It’s essentially pasta with egg sauce, plus butter – because everything is better with butter.
Keep scrolling to see how it all goes down!
- Pasta: I used Chiocciole pasta, but any short, sturdy pasta with nooks and crannies that can hold up to vigorous stirring will do just fine.
- Butter: I’d seen some people use 1 tablespoon of salted butter, but I opted to use 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter (I like to control the amount of salt in recipes myself).
- Egg: I used 1 large room-temperature egg, as room-temperature eggs are easier to incorporate than cold eggs.
- Everything Bagel seasoning: I’m admittedly not an Everything Bagel fanatic like so many other people, but this adds some flavor and crunch to the finished product.
How to Make Breakfast Pasta
Step 1: Fill a small pot of water with salted water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ideally, you want the pasta cooked a little bit pasta al dente.
Step 2: Remove the pot from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon of pasta water, then drain the rest of the water from the pot. Add butter to the pot, then add the drained pasta back to the pot and stir to coat.
Step 3: Crack your egg directly onto the pasta and stir quickly and vigorously to coat the pasta with the egg and create a glossy sauce that should cling to the pasta. If needed, turn the heat back on low to cook the egg completely.
Step 4: Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the Everything Bagel seasoning.
Observations and Tips
- Needs more butter. I’d tried it with 1 tablespoon of butter as I’d seen in videos, but it wasn’t enough for me so I added another tablespoon. I always used unsalted butter so that I can control the amount of salt in my recipes, so I added about 1/8 teaspoon of salt on my own as well.
- Needs more flavor. The “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning was a nice touch, but I still found it a bit bland – so I added salt, pepper, and additional garlic powder. I also just added more Everything Bagel seasoning because I didn’t get a good sense of how much I should be using from the videos I’d seen.
- Keep the heat going. In the videos I’d seen, people turned off the heat when they mixed in the egg. I didn’t feel like the egg combined or cooked enough, so I had my heat on low when I added both the butter and mixed in the egg.
- The sauce was a little too smooth for me. I added the reserved pasta water when I was adding the egg as well to give it a bit more starchiness and thickness.
- Kosher salt, for salting pasta water
- 1 cup dry short pasta, like shells or elbows
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon “Everything but the Bagel” Seasoning
- Fill a small pot of water with salted water and bring to a boil.Kosher salt
- Add pasta and cook for 9 minutes, stirring ocassionally. Ideally, you want the pasta cooked a little bit pasta al dente.1 cup dry short pasta
- Remove the pot from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon pasta water, then drain the rest of the water from the pot.
- Add butter to the pot, then add the drained pasta back to the pot and stir to coat.2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Crack your egg directly onto the pasta and stir quickly to coat the pasta with the egg and create a glossy sauce that should cling to the pasta. If needed, turn the heat back on low to cook the egg completely.1 large egg
- Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the Everything Bagel spice. Serve immediately and enjoy!1 teaspoon “Everything but the Bagel” Seasoning
The provided nutrition information is generated by an automatic API and does not take variations across specific brands into account. This information is provided as a general guideline and should not be treated as official calculations. Learn more here.
Leave a Rating and a Comment