Cupcakes for your dog are made with peanut butter and banana, and topped with a mashed potato “frosting” and a dog treat garnish!
I found out late in the day of March 23rd that it was National Puppy Day.
And how could I possibly not celebrate my favorite little girl?
And in true form, I had to go a little overboard. Yes, I’m calling them pupcakes.
No, a puppy doesn’t need a homemade pupcake.
And no, she doesn’t care what it looks like.
And yes, I’m a little nuts for making a cupcake for my dog that looks good enough for a human to eat. I don’t care. She deserves it!
Clearly, she is completely okay with my decision.
The heart-shaped treat is one of my homemade peanut butter and bacon treats, so she got a double dose of peanut butter with that one.
The other was a Hare of the Dog Rabbit Recipe Red Apple & Dandelion treat that came from her latest BarkBox and while she doesn’t do backflips for them the way she does for mine (thankyouverymuch), she definitely likes them.
After you’ve made this recipe, please consider coming back to share your experience with others by leaving a comment below with a star rating!
Peanut Butter and Banana Pupcakes
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaping tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ of a banana, mashed
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups water
- 1 small potato
- 1 teaspoon fat free milk
- 2 dog treats
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray 2 cups of muffin pan and set aside.
- Combine all batter ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into muffin pan and bake for about 15 minutes. Tops should be golden and firm. Let cool in pan for a couple minutes and then move to wire rack to cool completely.
- Peel potato and chop into cubes. Fill pan with water and bring to a boil. Add potato and boil until potato falls apart when stuck with a fork. Drain.
- Mash potato, add milk and use a hand mixer to combine completely. It should be a consistency that will be smooth and thick enough to pipe as frosting.
- Cut the corner off of a small baggie and scoop potato frosting inside. Squeeze it all down to one end and pipe on top of cooled pupcakes in whatever manner you'd like. Top with dog treats and let your pup enjoy!