Hot chocolate popcorn is a salty and sweet snack, and reminiscent of everyone’s favorite winter drink: hot chocolate! Freshly popped popcorn, marshmallows and a chocolate drizzle.
It’s National Popcorn Day, so of course I’m going to give you a spanking new popcorn recipe to celebrate: Hot Chocolate Popcorn!
I’m actually writing this post on Monday while over Lake Michigan, on my way to San Francisco. My flight was delayed by an hour due to fog in SFO, so needless to say I’m pretty antsy. I’m a very nervous flyer, so I do any and everything to distract myself – and right now that means streaming the TBS Angie Tribeca binge-a-thon, drinking a fairly large bottle of chardonnay… and writing this post!
Have you seen this show? I was actually pretty blah about the commercials I saw, but it’s actually really funny. It is punny to the MAX, with stuff like a bank chain called “Elizabeth Banks”. I’ll watch it again when I’m back on solid ground and see if it’s as funny when it’s not the only option I have at 36,000 feet cruising altitude.
Annnnnnnyway… popcorn. Hot chocolate popcorn, to be more precise. I’ve found that I eat a decent amount of popcorn in the winter. Maybe it’s because it’s warm, maybe it’s because it pairs well with a movie on a cold winter’s night – either way, I eat a lot of popcorn.
And what else do you consume more of in winter months? Hot chocolate! So why shouldn’t we combine the two? I just added some chocolate and marshmallows to normal popcorn to make myself a new comfort food. I don’t want you thinking it tastes just like hot chocolate – because it doesn’t. You’re not going to eat this popcorn and forget that you’re eating food and not drinking a drink. No no. But it is reminiscent of it, and pretty darn delicious if I do say so myself. Salty + sweet is my jam.
You can’t eat this warm due to the hardened chocolate but… well, I guess you could, but you’d be covered in melty chocolate… but either way it’s awesome. I promise.
Take a pic of your popcorn and tag #stressbaking on Instagram so I can see it!
More fun popcorn recipes:
- Funfetti Popcorn
- Marshmallow Caramel Corn by Let’s Dish
- Cinnamon Buttered Rum Popcorn Balls
- Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn by Five Heart Home
A salty and sweet snack that’s reminiscent of everyone’s favorite winter drink: hot chocolate!
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels (or 6 cups popped popcorn)
- 6 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Salt (optional)
- Pop popcorn and salt to taste. In a large bowl, combine popcorn and marshmallows, toss to combine. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in either a heat-proof bowl in the microwave (stirring every 15 seconds) or in a double broiler. Melt until almost completely melted and smooth, then let sit for 30 seconds and stir until completely smooth.
- On two baking sheets prepared with parchment or wax paper, lay salted popcorn in a single layer (it doesn’t have to be exact).
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the popcorn and marshmallow mixture. Set aside and let the chocolate harden.
- Once the chocolate is hardened, break apart and serve. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: hot chocolate popcorn, hot cocoa popcorn, chocolate popcorn