I love dark chocolate. It doesn’t matter what I’m making, I will always reach for the dark chocolate. Unsweetened, bittersweet, 60%+ cacao… gotta be dark. But guess what’s impossible to find? Dark chocolate Nestlé Crunch Bars.
I keep a candy dish (actually, it’s a whale with candy shoved in his face) in my cube at work, and I recently picked up a mixed bag of candy to toss in there. For a split second I thought that it included dark chocolate mini Crunch Bars, but it was just seasonal packaging that pulled the wool over my eyes. Sigh.
So, I went home and decided to make them myself. I figured I needed Rice Krispies and dark chocolate… and that’s it. But I was convinced that I was missing some key ingredient because it couldn’t possibly be that simple. So I gave it a shot, and guess what? IT’S THAT SIMPLE.
Step 1: Melt chocolate.
Step 2: Add Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
Step 3: Let it set and break it into pieces.
That’s it, my friends. Super easy, customized to use the fantastically delicious Ghirardelli’s 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (surprise, surprise), and doesn’t include any of those unknowns that come with mass-manufactured candy. You don’t have to worry that it might include nuts, or soy, or pieces of dinosaur bones.
I like mine in “bark” form – it’s easier than trying to meticulously cut them into even pieces. It’s faster and gives it that extra homemade touch that I love so much. Now go make these and pass them out as a little treat to your friends! Or make some new friends by giving them to random people on the street that willingly accept candy from strangers. On second thought… maybe just the first thing.
- 12 ounces dark chocolate (I use Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips)
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- Line an 8x8" pan with foil (I highly recommend Reynolds Non-Stick Pan Lining Paper) with the edges hanging over the side a bit and set aside.
- Place chocolate into a medium to large microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add cereal to bowl and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth it out so that the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Place in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
- Remove from pan and break into chunks (or you can try to cut it so that the pieces are more uniform, if desired). Enjoy!
- Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container, but the fridge is recommended for warmer climates.