An easy bite-sized, naturally sweetened snack packed with coconut and lemon flavors and dotted with poppy seeds. No bake, raw, gluten free, dairy free, paleo and vegan! Try my apple pie and chocolate pecan pie energy bites next.
We’re down to a little over a month before our wedding, and I’m finally starting to acknowledge that maybe I should put down the doughnuts and do a little more running. I still refuse to do any crazy crash dieting or absurdly long and frequent workouts, but I am at least trying to eat more veggies than cake.
In addition to that, I’ve put away the peppermint and started packing up the Christmas decorations. I usually go straight for comfort food this time of year, but to avoid having to be rolled down the aisle with frosting stuck to the side of my face, I’m busting out some of my favorite healthy snacks and flavors.
In today’s edition: Coconut Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Bites.
I fricking love these little guys. They have a tart and refreshing lemon flavor, complemented nicely by the shredded coconut – inside and out.
If you’re not as big a fan of coconut as I am, just leave out the step of rolling them in more shredded coconut. You could even roll them in lemon zest or poppy seeds instead if you wanted to. It will be much more subtle and the lemon flavor with be the star.
But if you ARE a fan of coconut… these are the bomb.
Do people still say that? Doesn’t matter, I do. I make no apologies for who I am.
These little mofos are the perfect grab and go snack, much like my apple pie bites and pecan pie bites. I think of those more as fall-ish snacks, and these guys carry over nicely from winter to spring. They’re moist, but not heavy or oily.
This recipe makes a batch of ~18, so if you want to be able to grab a handful each day of the week on the way out the door for work, you’re all set. Want more? Just double the recipe. Easy peasy.
I work from home now, but I still need to take breaks to head downstairs and get away from the computer and grab a little something to eat.
When I do, I try to avoid grabbing chips or something overly salty or sweet – these meet my needs and I don’t have any secret snacking guilt!
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup pitted dates, packed (about 6 dates)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 1/2 lemons, or more, to taste
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine 1 cup shredded coconut and all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined and sticky. Start with the juice of 1 1/2 lemons, then add more if desired.1 cup raw cashews1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut1/2 cup pitted datesZest of 1 lemonjuice of 1 1/2 lemons1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Use a small cookie scoop (2 teapoon-sized) to portion out dough. Roll each ball between the palms of your hands into smooth balls, then (if desired) roll in the remaining 1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes.Note: Because of the turmeric, your hands are going to get temporarily stained yellow. Just wash them thoroughly when you're done and you'll be fine!1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge, and enjoy!
The provided nutrition information is generated by an automatic API and does not take variations across specific brands into account. This information is provided as a general guideline and should not be treated as official calculations. Learn more here.
Leave a Rating and a Comment