This popcorn is full of sprinkles, addictive, salty and sweet – four ingredients and 20 minutes are all you need for the perfect shareable snack!
Welcome to week one of the ramen and funfetti challenge!
I decided to start small and get the ball rolling with a snack. It’s easy to make, only needs 4 ingredients*, can be ready in 20 minutes, and is easy to share**. However, I have to warn you: people may accuse you of attempted murder. I brought this into work, and shortly after I placed it in the kitchen I started to get accusations that I’d laced it with crack. Or that I slipped them something in their morning coffee that made it taste good enough that they’re skipping their lunch to eat this, and only this.
It’s so easy. I mean, seriously. So easy. I made everything from scratch and it was STILL super easy. Here’s what I did, and what you can do to save yourself even more time and energy:
Me: Made my own cake mix with flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mind you, the baking powder isn’t necessary for this purpose, but I make my own in large quantities and store it for future recipe use.
Time and effort saver: Use prepackaged white cake mix. It’s definitely healthier to make your own, but this is easier in a pinch.
Me: I popped kernels inside a paper bag in the microwave, salted it and then shook the bag vigorously to coat.
Effort saver: Use prepackaged popcorn. But seriously, you’ll save money and it’s DEFINITELY healthier to make your own.
Me: I made my own white chocolate and sprinkles by… juuuuuuust kidding. I totally could, but now is not the time.
In less than half an hour, you’re ready to rock. It’s the perfect treat to satisfy a sweet and salty craving. Does anyone else get those? I usually end up making popcorn and shoving handfuls in my mouth along with a handful of chocolate candy. I knew there had to be a more elegant way to be a complete couch potato, and by god I found it. Melt the sweet and pour it on the salty. Duh, Leslie.
I think I’m going to go make some to snack on while I’m in Provincetown for my birthday. Maybe I could make extra and hand it out to strangers on the street! Oh, wait. That’s not kosher in today’s society. Damn… that’s a shame because I could seriously make some new friends with this stuff. It’s the Friend Maker™! (patent pending)
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels (or 6 cups popped popcorn)
- 1½ cups white chocolate
- ¾ cup white or vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup sprinkles (NOT nonpareil)
- Place wax paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Pop popcorn and salt to your heart's content (if not already salted). Pour into large bowl and set aside.
- Melt white chocolate, stirring frequently and being careful not to overheat. Melt until smooth.
- Stir cake mix into melted chocolate and stir until combined. Add sprinkles and stir again (mixture will be a little thick).
- Pour chocolate mixture over popcorn and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheet and top with some extra sprinkles (just because). Let set for about 15 minutes and then break apart into small clusters. Serve and enjoy!
*It’s only 4 ingredients if you use a pre-made mix, store-bought or homemade.
**I had to look that word up, it didn’t ring a bell.