I have a very important topic to discuss today: bacon.
I recently attended a friend’s party and brought two different treats – one for those who crave a healthier option, and these. I can summarize the attendees feelings by quoting one of them: “You’re not allowed to come back unless you’re holding a pound of these.” But fair warning – things like this will happen:
|Credit to Val of The Slacker Gourmet|
It occurred to me as I was making these that I’ve always called bacon “candy for men”. And despite the total inappropriateness of the name, I’ve decided to call chocolate-dipped bacon “Man Candy”. I don’t care what you think because I think it’s hilarious. Okay, I care what you think a little… but mostly I just think it’s hilarious.
|The bacon stands alone. Credit to Val of The Slacker Gourmet|
Chocolate-Dipped Bacon (“Man Candy”)
[Makes 24 pieces]
12 strips bacon, each sliced in half
1/8 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces dark chocolate chips, melted
Sea salt, optional
1) Preheat oven to 375° F. Line one baking sheet with aluminum foil, and line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside parchment-lined sheet.
2) Place halved-bacon strips on aluminum-lined baking sheet, closely together. Bake for 9 minutes, flip, and bake for another 9. You want them to be crisp, but not burned and you don’t want the edges to be curled. When done baking, place on paper towels to dry and cool.
3) Melt chocolate. For dipping purposes, you want to thin out the chocolate a bit. Add vegetable oil to chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave in 15 second increments, stirring until completely melted and smooth.
4) Dip each piece of bacon in chocolate, and place on prepared pan to dry. If desired, sprinkle some sea salt on the dipped end as well. If so desired, decorate with icing or sprinkles.
5) If your house is cool enough, let them sit out to dry. Otherwise you can expedite the process and place the sheet in the fridge and they should be set in about ten minutes. Serve and enjoy!