Adapted from SkinnyTaste
[Serving Size: 1/8 cups / Serves 8]
1 lb ground turkey
3 cloves garlic (or 2 teaspoons minced garlic)
1/2 a medium onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoon chopped sweet basil
8 ounces canned mushroom stems and pieces (or sliced fresh if you have them!)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick
15-18 ounces fat free ricotta
16 ounces shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with Reynolds Wrap Non Stick Pan Lining Paper. One side is parchment paper and the other is aluminum I’m in love with this stuff. The food doesn’t stick to the paper and the paper doesn’t stick to the pan. And one less dirty dish!
2) In a large sauce pan, brown the ground turkey. Once browned, drain in colander and let it hang out there for now.
3) Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions for about 2 minutes.
4) Return the meat to the pan and mix. Now add tomatoes, mushrooms, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on low for about 35 minutes. Cook it a little longer if you need to – you want the sauce to be thick.
5) While the sauce is simmering, you’re going to prep the zucchini. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise, and then starting on the cut side, slice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices with a mandolin slicer. Lay out the slices on paper towels and lightly salt. Lay another paper towel on top to help blot out extra moisture.
6) Grill zucchini for a couple minutes on each side. I used a grill pan since we don’t have a grill accessible and it worked perfectly – except for the part when I can only grill 4 slices at a time, so I was doing this the entire time the sauce was simmering. Place on fresh paper towels to soak up any excess moisture.
7) In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
8) In your baking dish, spread some sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover (crosswise). Now layer some of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with the mozzarella cheese. Repeat this process until all your ingredients are used up. Top with sauce and mozzarella and cover with foil.
9) Bake covered for 45 minutes, then uncovered for 15 minutes. Cut and serve. Enjoy!