Instant Pot Glühwein (Mulled Wine)
The coziest of holiday drinks, mulled wine (or glühwein) is super easy to make in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop and makes for a perfectly spiced, warm Christmas drink!
- 1 750 mL bottle of a full bodied red wine, Shiraz,Cabernet, Merlot, or Malbec are all good options
- 8 ounces brandy
- 1 apple, any kind, thinly sliced
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon mulling spices*
*If you don't have pre-made mulling spices, add:
- 1 more cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dried or fresh orange peel
Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot and set to cook at high pressure for 1 minute.
Note: When you set your IP to cook, it will have a preheating period and then will automatically begin to cook at the time you set when it's ready.
Using an oven mitt, carefully turn steam valve to release all the pressure.
If you prefer not to have the spices and apple slices in your drink, just pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve before serving.
Serve with orange slices, apple slices, cinnamon sticks, and/or star anise and enjoy!
- Don't have an Instant Pot? In a large pot on your stovetop, combine all ingredients and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes (don't let it boil!). Use fine mesh sieve, if desired, and serve.
- Can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 326mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 49IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg