These chewy cookies are filled with gooey pockets of chocolate, crunchy bits of toffee, and a nutty flavor from the brown butter that’s all topped off with a sprinkling of flake sea salt for a truly addictive dessert. No chilling required!
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Watkins pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup toffee pieces
- Sea salt flakes, for topping
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook butter, stirring frequently. After a few minutes it will bubble, then foam, and then quickly brown – at that point, turn off the heat and give it a quick stir. Pour into a large bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl with the brown butter, add brown sugar and granulated sugar. Use a hand mixer on medium speed to beat to combine (about 1 minute).
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat again until the mixture is thicker and combined (another minute).
- With your mixer running on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate and toffee pieces.
- Set the dough aside to rest and thicken (on the counter, not in the fridge) – at least 20 minutes, longer if you have the time.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and prepare two baking sheets with nonstick silicon mats or parchment paper.
- Add a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons) to drop batter onto prepared baking sheets. They’ll spread quite a bit as they bake, so leave plenty of room – I usually only do 5 cookies on each sheet, just to be safe.
- Top each cookie with some extra chocolate pieces or toffee bits if desired, as well as a small sprinkle of flake sea salt.
- Bake on the middle rack for 8 minutes or until the edges are golden, but the centers still soft.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes (they will crinkle and set during this time), then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake