I may have mentioned the boyfriend and I are going on vacation to St. Croix in a week and a half. I dug through my summer clothes to find my bathing suit from last year and checked it out. It’s not stained or ripped, which is pretty much the only criteria I have because I don’t want to spend money if I don’t have to. So I tried it on to make sure everything looked okay, and while the bathing suit looked fine… I did not. Woof. I glared at myself in the mirror and mumbled angrily, “Winter weight, much?” Needless to say, it was diet time. And I don’t do diets. However, I refuse to be mistaken for some sort of beluga whale on the beach. Pale and shapeless. They are pretty cute though, so I guess there are worst things to be mistaken for. Like a… goblin shark.
Anyway. It’s hard to go from baking sweets all the time to baking no sweets at all. And a craving for my mascarpone whipped cream frosting is difficult to quell without cupcakes to stop with it.
…or is it?
I opened my fridge and sat on the floor, staring into the cold abyss of condiments and healthy crap. We still had half a watermelon that hadn’t been cut up yet, so I took it out thinking eating half a watermelon would make the craving go away. And then I realized that the mascarpone whipped cream would go really, really well with fruit.
So I whipped up a small batch of whipped cream and stared at that for a while as well trying to figure out what to do with it. If I just used it as a dip, I would find a way to scoop all the frosting into a single bite with a smidgen of fruit to complement it.
Watermelon is easy to cut into shapes, so I figured if I cut them into circles and topped them with the frosting that would make them bite-sized and an acceptable cheat for my diet.
Aren’t they adorable? Yes. Yes they are. And these couldn’t be much easier to make! And since these are clearly “no bake”, they couldn’t be better for summer. Ready, set, go. Go now. Make them. Why are you still here? GO!
The perfect summer cupcake – five ingredients and no baking required!
- 1 thick slice of watermelon
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Blueberries and raspberries (for garnish)
- Chill a large mixing bowl in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, sugar and vanilla on a high speed until completely combined. Add heavy cream and mix on a low setting until it is mostly combined. Now increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form – it may take a little while, so be patient! Set aside.
- Using the top of a champagne glass (or equally sized circular glass/container), cut circles out of the watermelon slice. Set on plate.
- Pipe whipped cream on top of each watermelon circle and top with a blueberry or raspberry (or both, if you like to live dangerously). Voila! A quick and easy dessert. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 42mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 38mg