The look on Penny’s face the whole time was, “What is it? Can I eat it? I’m gonna eat it.” She feels the need to supervise me when I’m cooking. She started out strong, standing behind me and to my left – and over time, she slowly lost her will to keep an eye on me.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/2 cups salted pretzel twists, crushed and divided
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. The easiest thing to do is tear off a sheet that is long enough to give a little overhang on each side and slice it in half, laying each half in opposite directions so that the paper hangs off all four sides. Spray paper with baking spray to keep it from sticking.
- Mix together melted butter and sugars until well combined and smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla and stir just until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Slowly stir in flour mixture to wet batter just until combined.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips and 1 cup of crushed pretzels.
- Pour the batter into the pan as evenly as possible. Now sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup pretzels on top, and use a flat hand to press the pretzels lightly into your batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes – a toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean when they’re done baking. Place pan on cooling rack and let cool completely – when cooled, lift bars out of pan using the parchment paper overhangs and place on serving platter.
- Pour 1/4 cup chocolate chips into a plastic baggie and melt in microwave in 20 second intervals, kneading the bag in between. When melted, cut a tiny corner off the bag and drizzle chocolate on top of the cooled cookie bars. Let cool completely.
- When ready to serve, cut bars into 16 pieces. Enjoy!
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 cups salted pretzel twists, crushed and divided