Do you ever wonder how you can get away with having dessert for breakfast? The answer is simple: if it has fruit in it, it’s obviously good for you so it is suitable for breakfast. Right? Right. So through that flawless logic, crepes with strawberries and Nutella in them are completely acceptable breakfast food.
Strawberry Nutella Crepes
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter (melted)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Nutella (amount is up to your discretion)
1-2 cups strawberries (sliced)
1) It seems weird, but it works – mix your flour with the egg in a large bowl. Whisk them together until well mixed (it’ll be sticky and lumpy, but that’s okay).
2) Gradually mix in the milk and water, alternating and mixing well between each addition.
3) Now add the salt, butter, sugar and vanilla and beat well until smooth. I just used a whisk, but you could use an electric beater on low.
4) Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium heat.
5) Depending on the size of your pan, use a 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup measuring cup to pour the batter into the pan. I used 1/4 cup because I was using an 8-inch pan. Make sure to immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter out to the size of the pan so that it is thin and evenly distributed.
6) Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the edges start to curl (could be even less time depending on your pan and range). Now flip it over – it should slide easily for you to flip with a spatula. Or if you’re fancy and talented, flip it just using the pan! But if you do, please take a video and send it to me because I’m fascinated by the people that can actually do it without it ending up on the floor.
7) This is the trickiest part. And by tricky, I mean difficult not to eat the ingredients before they make it to the crepe. Using a spatula or spoon, spread Nutella across the crepes almost to the edges, spreading a thin layer (or thick – I’m not your mother, do what you want). Next, spoon your strawberries down the center of the crepe.
8) Now fold one side of the crepe over and press down lightly with your spatula, and then fold the other side over on top of that. Let cook for a minute, which should be long enough to warm the insides and make the Nutella all melty and delicious.
9) Move this wonderful creation on to a plate, and garnish with whipped cream and powdered sugar. Do everything in your power not to shove the entire thing in your mouth at once. Savor it.