Slightly sweet whipped lemon mascarpone mousse is layered with tart strawberry puree for a creamy and decadent summer dessert!
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional garnish: sliced strawberries, fresh lemon zest
- In a medium saucepan, heat strawberries, sugar and lemon over medium heat for 10 minutes. The strawberries should be reduced to a juicy, bubbly jam.
- Either transfer to a heat proof bowl and use an immersion blender , or transfer to a food processor to blend into a smoother mixture. It doesn’t need to be perfectly smooth – but if you’d prefer it smoother, just push it through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
- Place in the fridge to cool while you prep the mousse.
Note: I have not personally experienced this, but some readers have commented that their mixture curdled when they added the lemon juice. I have personally had success by folding the lemon juice in at the end, and also by combing it with all the ingredients except for the mascarpone cheese (and then adding the mascarpone to combine with the hand mixer at the end).
- In a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese and 1 tablespoon sugar, and use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat on high speed until combined.
- In another medium bowl, combine heavy cream, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, vanilla and salt and use a hand mixer to beat on high speed until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold the heavy cream mixture and lemon juice into the mascarpone mixture until completely combined.
- Spoon mousse mixture into a pastry bag to pipe into serving dishes.
- Dividing between two serving dishes (or 4, if you’d like smaller portions): Start with a a spoonful of strawberry puree, then a layer of mousse, and repeat twice more until you’ve used all the ingredients.
- Top with diced strawberries and/or fresh lemon zest and serve. Enjoy!
Keywords: strawberry lemon mascarpone mousse, strawberry mousse, lemon mousse, mascarpone mousse, strawberry mascarpone mousse, summer dessert