A light and bright salad full of spinach greens, freshly sliced strawberries and avocado, seared steak and a simple lemon balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
- 1 steak, cooked as desired and sliced against the grain
- 6–7 cups spinach (loosely packed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sliced or slivered almonds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Let your cut of steak rest on the counter for at least 30 minutes, or until it has come to room temperature. Blot the steak with paper towels to soak up excess moisture, then salt and pepper all over.
- Preheat oven on the broil setting.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on the stove top over high heat, add a little oil and then sear the steak for 30-60 seconds. Carefully use tongs to flip the steak and sear on the other side for 30 seconds.
- Insert a probe style thermometer (we love this one by ThermoWorks – affiliate link) into the center of the steak, and carefully transfer the skillet to the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes, then flip and broil for another 3-4 minutes or until the internal temperature is 5° lower than your ideal finished temperature (it will continue to cook a bit after being removed from the oven). Your time may be more or less depending on how you prefer your steak cooked. See below in the notes for the different doneness temperatures.
- Transfer finished steak to a cutting board and tent with foil. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Rinse and dry spinach and place in a large salad bowl. Toss spinach in extra virgin olive oil and set aside.
- Hull and slice fresh strawberries and set aside.
- Slice avocado and set aside – find out how to do that in this quick video.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir.
- Add strawberries and the balsamic vinaigrette with the bowl of spinach and gently toss to coat.
- Cut steak against the grain into 1/2″ slices.
- Divide spinach and strawberries between two bowls. Top with avocado slices, steak, cheese and slivered almonds. Serve and enjoy!
- I highly recommend using the ThermoWorks ChefAlarm (affiliate link) probe thermometer to monitor the temperature of your steak while it’s cooking.
- Different doneness temperatures, for reference:
Medium rare: 135°F
Medium well: 150°F
Well done: 160°F
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spinach salad, spinach and strawberry salad, steak salad