No mixer required! Easy cornbread so good it doesn’t even NEED to be served with butter!
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup butter. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, butter, brown sugar, egg. Stir until combined and no lumps remain – it should be grainy and tan in color.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined – don’t overmix!
- Place 1 tablespoon butter in skillet and place in oven. Let it sit until the butter has just melted and then remove. Roll the skillet around to coat the bottom with the melted butter.
- Pour batter into skillet in even layer. Bake 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden and crisp, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, slice and serve. Enjoy!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornbread, skillet cornbread, easy cornbread