Adapted heavily from Bakerita. Soft shortbread, gooey caramel, and toasted coconut are dipped in chocolate and topped with a chocolate drizzle! Paleo, gluten free, and dairy free.
- 1 1/3 cups coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus a pinch for topping
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups dark chocolate, chopped and divided
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8” square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt. Stir to combine until it forms dough.
- Press dough into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with a pinch of salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool completely in pan.
- On a large baking sheet, spread shredded coconut in a thin layer and toast in oven for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan, combine almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and salt and stir frequently over low heat until completely combined. Turn off heat.
- Add 1/3 of your toasted coconut to the pan and stir to combine.
- Pour caramel filling over your prepared shortbread layer and top with the remaining 2/3 toasted coconut. Add a pinch of salt as well, if desired. Place in fridge to set and cool completely.
- Cut into 16 squares. Place in freezer while your prep your chocolate.
- Prep a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt 1 1/2 cups of the dark chocolate (in the most shallow bowl you can get away with) in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
- Take the bars out of the freezer and dip the bottom of each bar into the dark chocolate, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet to set.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup dark chocolate, transfer to a small piping bag and drizzle the chocolate over the bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge (or freezer). Enjoy!
- Category: Dessert