Perfectly moist (but not heavy) spice cake loaded with flavor and fresh carrots. The cake itself is paleo, and I’ve provided several options for delicious paleo and non-paleo frostings – because carrot cake isn’t complete without a creamy, tangy frosting!
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups carrots, freshly grated
- 2 cups paleo baking flour blend
- 1 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped and toasted, divided (optional, but encouraged)
Paleo Frosting Options:
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting (my personal favorite, not paleo)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure or clear vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9″ round pans with coconut oil — or spray with nonstick spray if not paleo — and dust with gluten-free flour. Shake out the excess and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, coconut oil, and sweetener and whisk to combine.
- Add applesauce, coconut sugar, almond milk, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and whisk again to combine.
- Add carrots and flour and whisk to combine. Fold in 1 cup of the chopped nuts of choice.
- Divide batter evenly among the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost totally clean.
- Let cool in pants for 10 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt and beat until combined and smooth.
- Add the whipped cream mixture to the cream cheese mixture and whip for a few seconds to combine.
- Place one layer of the cake on cake stand or plate, and add 1/3 of the frosting on top, all the way to the edges. Place the other cake layer on top, then cover with the remaining frosting (on top, and around the edges). Garnish with remaining chopped nuts, slice, and enjoy!
- Store covered in fridge for up to 5 days.
- Nutritional information below is for the cake alone – does not include frosting since it would depend on which one you use.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake, paleo carrot cake, spice cake