Mint Chocolate Whoopie Pies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Green food coloring
1) Preheat oven to 375º F.
2) In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt and beat on medium speed until well combined and fluffy.
3) Add egg, vanilla and cocoa powder and beat until well combined.
4) Add milk and start with mixer on lowest speed to prevent the milk from splashing all over the place. Slowly increase the speed and beat until well combined.
5) Gradually add flour and again, on the lowest speed, mix until well combined.
6) Scoop batter into whoopie pie pan and bake for 7-10 minutes. They’ll be done when they spring back to the touch. If you don’t have a whoopie pie pan, you can drop tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets instead.
7) Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes in the pan, then move to wire racks to cool completely.
8) While cookies are cooling, in a large bowl, beat butter at medium high speed until fluffy.
9) Add milk and peppermint extract, beat well. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until well combined. If the consistency is too thin, add tablespoons of powdered sugar and beat after each addition until it has reached the desired consistency.
10) Now add drops of food coloring and beat after each addition until it has reached the desired color.
11) Using a pastry bag, pipe filling onto the flat side of one cookie, then top with another cookie (flat side down). Alternatively, you can just scoop the filling onto the cookie and spread it with a spatula.
Get creative! Try rolling the sides lightly in some sprinkles, or add 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips to the batter for extra chocolately bites. Enjoy!