A tangy, sweet, moist loaf loaded with lemon flavor and dotted with crunchy poppy seeds!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or 1:1 gluten free flour)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable, corn, or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon bakery emulsion or lemon extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon bakery emulsion or lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar and yogurt/sour cream. Whisk until smooth and pale yellow (it’ll look kind of like custard at this stage).
- Add oil, lemon emulsion and lemon zest and whisk to combine.
- Add dry mixture to bowl of wet mixture and use a spatula to stir until just combined and mostly smooth.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes. To prevent the top from burning before the inside is fully cooked, tent a piece of foil over the top and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- If adding glaze, combine all ingredients in a small bowl until completely combined and smooth and brush over top of loaf. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.