The coziest of holiday drinks, mulled wine (or glühwein) is super easy to make in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop and makes for a perfectly spiced, warm Christmas drink!
- 1 750 mL bottle of a full bodied red wine (Shiraz,Cabernet, Merlot, or Malbec are all good options)
- 8 ounces brandy
- 1 apple (any kind), thinly sliced
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon mulling spices*
*If you don’t have pre-made mulling spices, add:
- 1 more cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dried or fresh orange peel
- Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot and set to cook at high pressure for 1 minute.
Note: When you set your IP to cook, it will have a preheating period and then will automatically begin to cook at the time you set when it’s ready.
- Using an oven mitt, carefully turn steam valve to release all the pressure.
- If you prefer not to have the spices and apple slices in your drink, just pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve before serving.
- Serve with orange slices, apple slices, cinnamon sticks, and/or star anise and enjoy!
- Category: Drink
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: instant pot wine, mulled wine, glühwein