This creamy and filling butternut squash soup is made entirely in an Instant Pot and is the ultimate heartwarming comfort food. It’s also naturally vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and easy to make in under an hour!
- 8 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced (about 2 medium squash)
- 16 ounces vegetable stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 apple, cored and diced (I like using Granny Smiths)
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- A pinch of cayenne
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- In your Instant Pot , combine butternut squash, vegetable stock, garlic, apple, sage, onion, turmeric, salt, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine, then cover with lid and make sure it’s locked closed.
- Set vent to “Sealing” and press “Pressure Cook”, set the “Pressure Level” to high and press the + button until the time reads 9 minutes. Let it cook until it beeps to indicate that it’s done.
- Using an oven mitt or towel, carefully move the valve to the “Vent” setting and let it release all the pressure that’s built up. It will be a loud whistling sound, and may take a few minutes before it stops. Remove the lid.
- Carefully remove and discard the sage sprigs, and then stir in the coconut milk.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Transfer to cups or bowls and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Optional: Garnish each bowl with a small swirl of coconut milk and freshly ground pepper.
- If you have leftovers, just put the lid back on and press the “Keep Warm” button.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- To reheat, warm in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until hot.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butternut squash soup, instant pot butternut squash soup, instant pot soup