Homemade mozzarella sticks are easy to make in less than 30 minutes! String cheese sticks are coated in batter and deep fried to golden, melted cheesy perfection. I’ve also included my favorite small batch marinara sauce recipe for dipping.
- 12 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder*
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Marinara sauce, for dipping (see below for homemade recipe)
Easy Small Batch Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes (6 ounces or tomato sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Large pinch of salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In three separate shallow dishes, prepare the following:
- Dish #1: Combine flour, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Dish #2: Combine eggs and milk and whisk to beat and combine.
- Dish #3: Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme and red pepper flakes. Whisk to combine.
- Working with one piece of cheese at a time, dredge each piece of string cheese in flour mixture, shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumb mixture and press to ensure it sticks.
- Repeat this process again for each stick, then transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Transfer baking sheet to freezer and let freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Fill a large pot with about 2″ oil over medium heat until a thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350°F.
- Working in batches of no more than 4, carefully drop sticks into hot oil and turn occasionally until they are golden brown and crisp (about 2 minutes).
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, and sprinkle with a little salt if desired.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce (try my small batch marinara sauce recipe below) and enjoy!
Easy Small Batch Marinara Sauce
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, then add garlic and saute until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add red pepper (if using), stir and let simmer another 1 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Italian seasoning: If you don’t have the individual spices (basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, garlic), you can substitute for 2 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning mix.
- Mozzarella sticks are best served immediately after being fried, but they can be breaded up to 3 days ahead of time and kept frozen until ready to fry.
- Marinara sauce can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Note: Nutrition info is just for mozzarella sticks and does not include marinara sauce.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: mozzarella sticks, fried mozzarella sticks