This filling and flavorful ham and cheese strata is loaded with ham, cheese, peppers and spinach and can be prepared the night before so that you can relax and enjoy breakfast with almost no work in the morning! The perfect breakfast to feed a crowd during the holidays.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups spinach, loosely packed and roughly chopped
- 12” baguette, cut into 1-2″ cubes (I recommend a stale Italian or French bread*)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2–6 ounce packages Clifty Farm Country Ham Biscuit Slices, cut into 1–2” slices
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (any dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Coat a 3-quart casserole dish or 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray . Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add spinach, stir to combine, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In your prepared baking dish, add half bread in a single layer, followed by 1/2 the spinach mixture, then 1/2 the green and red peppers, then 1/2 the ham, then 1/2 the Gruyere and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses. Repeat in the same order with the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper until well combined. Pour in an even layer over the ingredients in the casserole dish. Add more freshly ground pepper, if desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight (up to 12 hours).
- Remove casserole from fridge and let come to room temperature while you preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Loosely cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Casserole is done with browned on the sides and puffy in the center. Mine usually takes about 55 minutes.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
- Bread: Don’t have stale bread or time to wait for it to become stale? Cut it into cubes and lay it in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Freezing Instructions: Prepare through step 7, then cover the casserole with plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature, then continue with step 8.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ham and cheese strata, ham and cheese breakfast, cheesy breakfast strata, breakfast cassrole