These Grinch cookies are festive, cakey cookies that bear a strong resemblance to a certain Christmas Grinch! In 20 minutes they’ll be ready to add to your cookie platter alongside chocolate sugar cookie cut-outs and chewy ginger molasses cookies.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mint extract (or less, to taste)
- Green gel food coloring paste
- Heart-shaped sprinkles (aff link)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with nonstick silicon mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter and blend until completely combined with a fine crumb.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour mixture, eggs, melted butter (or oil), vanilla extract and mint extract and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add a few drops of gel paste and beat to fully combine – the dough will start to come together at this point. Add more food coloring to get to your desired color, keeping in mind that the color will fade slightly during baking.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to place each ball of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, with no more than 9 on each sheet (they need room to spread while baking).
- Roll each ball of dough in your hands to shape into a smooth ball and press down on the top of each slightly. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the cookies start to crinkle – they will set and crinkle more as they cool.
- As soon as you remove them from the oven, press a heart sprinkle into the top of each cookie. Let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes, and then move to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy!
If you’d prefer a shortcut, you can substitute the first 5 ingredients for a box of white cake mix.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grinch cookies, crinkle cookies, grinch crinkle cookies