This moist cake roll has the signature gingerbread flavor with the addition of a rich and tangy eggnog cream cheese filling!
- 4 eggs, separated and room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces Philadelphia Original Brick Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 10×15 baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks for 1 minute. Add brown sugar and molasses and mix on medium speed until completely combined. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Add flour mixture to egg yolk mixture and beat until just combined.
- In another large bowl, whip egg whites until foamy soft peaks form. With the mixer running, slowly add granulated sugar. Once all the sugar is added, increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the egg white mixture into the bowl of batter. Take your time and, again, be gentle – you don’t want to eliminate all the air you whipped into them.
- Pour batter onto the prepared pan, gently using a spatula to evenly distribute the batter.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes, or until the cake is spongey and bounces back when touched.
- While it’s baking, lay out a flour sack or kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle it with a layer of powdered sugar.
Tip: I like to use my flour sifter so that it’s a relatively even layer and I don’t miss any spots!
- Let the cake cool for a minute on the baking sheet, then carefully turn it out onto the towel and remove the parchment paper from the bottom.
- Starting from one of the short ends, roll the cake up (rolling the towel with it as you go). Lay the wrapped cake seam side down and let cool completely.
Eggnog cream cheese filling:
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, eggnog, vanilla, and nutmeg on medium speed until well combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and turn up to medium high speed to completely combine.
Assemble the cake roll:
- Once the cake is completely cooled, carefully unroll it. Using a spatula, add an even layer of the eggnog cream cheese filling to the top of the cake, leaving about 1/4″ of space on the edges.
- Gently re-roll the cake and then move it, seam side down, to a serving platter.
- Dust with powdered sugar, slice, serve and enjoy!